Substitute a Codex with datacards?

unitron

I`m a bit confused.

I figured I need the rules for the 8th ed. CSM, when I discovered these datacards which seem super cool and way more practical. Does anyone know do those cards include essential rules for an army in a booklet or just the rules for the cards and that`s it?

The data cards contain strategic objectives, for Maelstrom of war missions, stratagem, psychic powers, and something else I think... can't reach mine atm, but they bring all the useful stuff to the table, but you still need a codex for the rules/points costs/power levels.

Thanks for the input.

So, for the point costs, wargear options and rules the only option is to buy a relevant codex or does GW sell also some kind of smaller booklets with just the rules (let`s be honest, the codices are mostly fluff, they`re not handy when playing)?

And BTW, what is a "stratagem"? (I`m completely new to the term)

Edited by unitron

1) Stratagem is what you use during the game/deployment to gain certain advantages or rules, or to interrupt your opponents turn for some reason. They cost Command points, which are gained during list writing, in the Advanced Rules section of the main rule book. (BRB)

2) There are options, depending on what army you wish to play.

Currently, the only armies with a codex are Space Marines, Grey Knights, and Chaos Marines. (I believe).

All other armies use the cheaper Index books, Index Imperium 1 for Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Deathwatch, Dark Angels, and older units/models of Space Marines.

Index Imperium 2 covers Guard (Astra Militarum), Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Adeotus Mechanicus, Skitarii, Sisters of Battle, Inquisition, and Guard support elements.

Index Xenos 1 covers all Eldar factions, Craftworld, Harlequins, and Dark Eldar.

Index Xenos 2 covers Tyranids, Tau, Necrons and Orks. (Forgive me if I miss a faction)

Index Chaos covers Chaos Daemons and any Chaos Space Marine units not covered by the Codex.

None of the indexes (indecii?) Have anything other than the basics to get an army on the table. Whereas the relevant codex will introduce relics, a special rule or two, and faction specific missions, psychic powers (if available) and faction specific stratagems.

Thanks for the input.

So, for the point costs, wargear options and rules the only option is to buy a relevant codex or does GW sell also some kind of smaller booklets with just the rules (let`s be honest, the codices are mostly fluff, they`re not handy when playing)?

And BTW, what is a "stratagem"? (I`m completely new to the term)

They don't sell any alternatives to codexes, there's only the actual codex, or the digital ebook version. Try seeing if your local game store has a copy you can look through to get an idea of what the codex contains and how it might be useful for you during a game. Some veteran players do not need to open their codex even once during a typical game, but you should always have a copy available should you ever need to double check the accuracy of your army or if you forgot the rules for a specific unit or weapon, especially these days where everything is new or has changed, most of us are constantly leafing through either an index, codex, or the rulebook during games.

In the last edition, I think GW came out with a mini codex that was smaller and in softcover for less money, but it was still basically the same codex and it took a long time for GW to release them.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

I though a units datacard was supposed to be included with new boxes now?

They are, but they do not include the Matched Play points costs, just Power Points.

I wouldn't mind seeing the equivalent of AoS warscroll cards appear. I know it's made playing my Stormcast easier since i don't have to flick back and forth through a book (memory like a sieve).

Hmm. Not bad. Easy to carry around unit reference sheets.

I make my lists at home anyway, and there are tools to help with point costs if needed.

Problem is, i don't need to buy any new boxes. Especially as we've not been given any new units (bar 2 flyers no one is going to touch as the good old raven is better).

GW should give us a way to obtain the datacards directly.