Starting BA with primaris only?

Anamnesis

Hi guys,

After painting a little primaris successor of the BA, i was wondering if some of you had tested a full primaris BA army?

What would you purchase first ? Viability wise, does it work?

I have some intercessor for the moment and i was going to add agressor to go with the dark imperirum captain in gravis armour, appart from that nothing much.

Should i better just play regular SM for the moment et wait for the blood angels codex?

Cheers!

Anamnesis

With primaris only, there's no advantage to playing BA vs a codex-compliant army - they're the same units, but codex marines now get the chapter tactics, strategems and relics while we're waiting for ours, and BA intercessor sgts can't take power swords. You might as well play as a Raven Guard successor or something for the time being.

While primaris death company and sanguinary guard etc may come later, most of us aren't expecting it with the codex release. BA current strength, such as it is, lies in the unique minimarine units and weapon options (JP company vets, upgunned assault squads, death company, heavy flamers up the wazoo etc); and characters that aren't "officially" available to successors.

Edited by Arkhanist

With primaris only, there's no advantage to playing BA vs a codex-compliant army - they're the same units, but codex marines now get the chapter tactics, strategems and relics while we're waiting for ours, and BA intercessor sgts can't take power swords. You might as well play as a Raven Guard successor or something for the time being.

While primaris death company and sanguinary guard etc may come later, most of us aren't expecting it with the codex release. BA current strength, such as it is, lies in the unique minimarine units and weapon options (JP company vets, upgunned assault squads, death company, heavy flamers up the wazoo etc); and characters that aren't "officially" available to successors.

Thanks for your answer,brother!

I will wait patiently for BA special unit then and play them as regular marine for the time being!

Can't wait to see some primaris death company, that's sound awesome

You are just playing a paint job without any chapter rules if you pick Blood Angels and only want Primaris right now as noted.

If you really like BA you need little brothers for your Primaris to make it worth your time for sure. Just like you would with your wolves.

When looking at Primaris I think Hellblasters and Reivers are pretty sweet.

The Repulsor is great. It would also be hella useful for Blood Angels in my opinion. Maybe some smart fella will install a lucifer engine some day...

I am waiting for the codex before buying anything else new modelwise myself. Well maybe the Dante audiobook will finally get my wallet prised opened before then.

Hard to say if DC Primaris will ever happen as Cawl supposedly stabilized the geneseed.

I think it would be cool if they thirsted etc like the rest of us tho and will be bummed if they don't.

If not I could see my olde vampire veterans perhaps using them as little more than honored but ultimately more expendable imperial replacements obviously not fully of the blood and in tune with Sanguinius.

IMO our "flaws" are related to Sanguinius and the way the big E made him, not actual unstable or mutated geneseed tho...

Cawl added some organs and DNA massage to the mix ... hmmm. Who knows if he's a Heritek really at this point?

Regarding making an entire Primaris force. I will quit 40k if ever forced to abandon my old space marines.

I will likely buy some sweet looking Primaris marines to add in to my army, but will be really F'ed Off if GW ever should be so stupid as to actually squat my huge existing collection.

Anyhow, Hurry Up with the codex already GW =)

Thanks for your feedback, I have to admit after painting a primaris, i can't paint any "standard" marine, the scale feels just weird and i've lost the interested for them saddly.

That's mostly why i was thinking about a pure primaris force, i'm hoping we'll have some more toy in the future though i'm not in a rush :)

I'll see what i can do with what's out now and decide later then !

Thanks for the input brothers!

Thanks for your feedback, I have to admit after painting a primaris, i can't paint any "standard" marine, the scale feels just weird and i've lost the interested for them saddly.

That's mostly why i was thinking about a pure primaris force, i'm hoping we'll have some more toy in the future though i'm not in a rush :smile.:

I'll see what i can do with what's out now and decide later then !

Thanks for the input brothers!

Personally, that's why I intend to paint them after I get my normarines (normal marines) done. Only have a few squads left (5x 10 man squads :tongue.: )!

Edited by Spagunk

I was going to start a new thread, but I think what I was pondering kind of fits here. I was thinking of using some Pramaris models as "counts as" Corbulo and Mephiston using the Primaris Apoth and Libby to start. While comparing the models to see what conversions would be necessary. I noted that several BA models - Astorath, Seth (OK FT model), the Sanguinor, Tycho, Lemartes, and the aforementioned Corbs and Meph, are all out of stock. Is it possible we will get new models with the new codex? And, to carry the "wish" a little further, that they may be Primaris models? I seem to recall that is was possible for current Space Marines to undergo a transformation to Primaris. Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread, but if any of that happens it may then be possible to do an all BA Primaris force.