Sanctuary with Heed the Prognosticators

Gentlemanloser

Sanctuary was recently changed in the GK FAQ.

Both Sancruary and Heed used to increase the units saving throw by 1.

Now Sanctuary increases the units Save by 1 to a max of 3+.

Is there any difference between a saving throw and a units Save?

I'm sure they are two seperate things.

A units Save is a Characteristic (page 175, 181 for Invulnerable Saves).

A saving throw is a dice result, possibly modified (page 181).

To clarify this, page 181 also states;

"Makes a saving throw by rolling a dice <snip> the result is equal to, or greater than, the Save characteristic"

Highlighting that the saving throw is different to the save of a unit.

What does a unit with a natural 4++ save characteristic successfully saves on when both Sanctuary and Heed are applied?

Heed provides a +1 to the saving throw, or rather modifies the saving throw result by 1.

Sanctuary increases the save of the unit by 1 (to a max of 3++), or changes the save characteristic (in this case the invulnerable save) from 4++ to 3++.

When the saving throw die is rolled, with a +1 modifier from Heed, any result of a 2 or higher is sucessful.

Is this correct? I can't see any problems with it.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

When citing a recently issued FAQ, it's polite to link to it.

Appears coherent. So, yes, if you've got Command Points to burn and can make that 6 up psychic test your NDK-GM can spend some time enjoying a functionally 2 up invulnerable save where you can burn further Command Points re-rolling the ones.

Enjoy it while it lasts as the only reason that comes to mind for the errata is to break this as a combo. If the new wording fails to thwart it, expect a re-wording in the near future.

Actually i expect the FAQ was for narrative play and multiple warding staves.

The FAQ does nothing to stop NDK with a 3++. And in Matched play you can only cast sanctuary once.

And you will run out of CP with Heed.

Narrative, you can spam multiple sanctuary on multiple warding staff squads unlimited for no cost.

I doubt Heed will be changed.

Currently this change only effects Draigo, Index libbies with Storm Shields and Warding Staves in CC.

As they have natural 3++ save so now gain nothing from Sanctuary.

A brotherhood champion can use heed or sanctuary with blade shield to get a 2++ every turn.

No cost with the changed sanctuary either.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

Sanctuary was recently changed in the GK FAQ.

Both Sancruary and Heed used to increase the units saving throw by 1.

Now Sanctuary increases the units Save by 1 to a max of 3+.

Is there any difference between a saving throw and a units Save?

I'm sure they are two seperate things.

A units Save is a Characteristic (page 175, 181 for Invulnerable Saves).

A saving throw is a dice result, possibly modified (page 181).

To clarify this, page 181 also states;

"Makes a saving throw by rolling a dice <snip> the result is equal to, or greater than, the Save characteristic"

Highlighting that the saving throw is different to the save of a unit.

What does a unit with a natural 4++ save characteristic successfully saves on when both Sanctuary and Heed are applied?

Heed provides a +1 to the saving throw, or rather modifies the saving throw result by 1.

Sanctuary increases the save of the unit by 1 (to a max of 3++), or changes the save characteristic (in this case the invulnerable save) from 4++ to 3++.

When the saving throw die is rolled, with a +1 modifier from Heed, any result of a 2 or higher is sucessful.

Is this correct? I can't see any problems with it.

You are correct on all counts.

If you want to see the difference between a saving throw and a save characteristic consider the following situation : a space marine scout (save 4+) is in cover (+1 to save roll)

If I shoot say scout with a graviton, does it trigger the graviton special rule (D3 dmg if the target has a 3+ save) ? I think we can safely agree it doesn't. Because the scout's save remains 4+, it's the save roll that gets a +1 (and the scout will effectively save on a 3 up roll).