Why do you like the Dark Angels?

Merellin

Speaking of books, Can anyone recomend any good Dark Angels books? I recently got ahold of the Legacy of Caliban Omnibus and I hope it is good.

Funnily enough, the Leman Russ novel of the "Primarch" series has A LOT of the Dark Angels and the Lion, considering the main event is the conquest of Dulan leading to the infamous duel. Plus its written by Chris Wright in case you need to read something about Dark Angels written by someone other than Gav Thorpe.

Long story cut short, Lion is an arrogant prick but a brilliant one who deserves being envied and a strong contender for the Warmaster title. Yet certain moments in the novel shows that he isn't ALWAYS a prick, and makes it just believeable that someone like Russ would eventually respect and befriend him in the end, to the point that when he learnt about the Lion's supposed death, he actually went into mourning.

Because robes over power armour is like a bowtie and a fez...they're cool.

Dark Angels are what I always imagined Space Marines to be from the little bits of fluff I was first introduced to. Specifically the warrior-monk line. When I saw the generic veterans as I started in 4th Edition, they came across as too, for lack of a better word, noble.

Space Marines are angels of death. They should look the part.

Now, after many years and diving deep into the fluff things like the multiple Wings, how the Legion worked, the Fallen, everything about the Lion...

The Dark Angels are bowties cool.

Since I'm really old school, it started with The Deathwing expansion of Space Hulk and when I finally started playing proper 40k, Dark Angels was a given. I also love the Dark green, bone and black color scheme.

I think I'm one of the few that truly loves the ambiguous nature of the Dark Angels, are we loyal to the Imperium or ourselves, even how it's been portrayed by Gav. I have always liked the idea that the Dark Angels are willing to do bad things to cover up their secrets. It's not a popular opinion I know, and DA players get bent out of shape when anyone questions their loyalty, but dang it that makes them all the more interesting! Question my loyalty and I'll tell you where my loyalties lie, right before I make sure you never tell anyone else! :D

Edited by Brother Bish

Since I'm really old school, it started with The Deathwing expansion of Space Hulk and when I finally started playing proper 40k, Dark Angels was a given. I also love the Dark green, bone and black color scheme.

I think I'm one of the few that truly loves the ambiguous nature of the Dark Angels, are we loyal to the Imperium or ourselves, even how it's been portrayed by Gav. I have always liked the idea that the Dark Angels are willing to do bad things to cover up their secrets. It's not a popular opinion I know, and DA players get bent out of shape when anyone questions their loyalty, but dang it that makes them all the more interesting! Question my loyalty and I'll tell you where my loyalties lie, right before I make sure you never tell anyone else! :D

As a DA player who is also a Fallen and Black Legion and World Eaters player. I also love the shady side of the DAs.

Back in Epic 1st edition where there were almost no fluff, there were a few chapters to choose from, and my choice stopped naturally on the Dark Angels because I found that their Flying Sword banner was awesome and if I had a personal banner myself, this would be it. 

Besides the banner, the artwork confirmed me as a DA (before 2nd ed). Here's some:

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/4/6/space-marine-epic-battles-in-the-age-of-heresy-boardgame-roleplay-warhammer-40k-51c731024dee12bd4373769271350f70.jpg

(this is the box of Epic 1st edition).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__nUZVomM57c/TCLtZtqtQOI/AAAAAAAAAS8/t_V5FMGFWVI/s1600/spacehulkdeathwing.jpg

(this is the 1st xpac of Space Hulk 1st edition)

https://imgv2-2-f.scribdassets.com/img/document/223054205/fit_to_size/149x198/2f370b67fd/1501451984

(Citadel Journal cover)

This DA artwork largely helped depict the idea of what DA are at war, which is raging machine gun marines / destruction methodists, - while being elitist jerks with their Deathwing

As for more recent artwork I like many!, here's one I like (courtesy of https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Lion_El'Jonson ):

https://1d4chan.org/images/2/23/Lion_El%27Jonson.JPEG

(note the similarity between the Lion on this pic, and the Emperor)

What I like about the Dark Angels is that they benefit from many layers of lore, which are in turn complexly intertwined. Admittedly, there is so much material that it is perhaps inevitable for afficionados of the Unforgiven to shape it into their personal head-canon. Still, even if you take it all as given, I'd argue the Dark Angels come off as the richest, most nuanced Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes.

Start with the battle-brother of the line, and you have probably the archetypical Space Marine: a stoic warrior-monk, unfailingly disciplined, utterly fearless, unwilling to give an inch of ground to the enemies of man. What sets him apart from, say, the Ultramarines and their Codex-abiding Successors? Not just mere colors or the use of Gothic numerical markings versus Latin ones. Not the occasional Calibanite ornamentation on his power armour, which is most likely indicative of a piece of wargear that dates back to the Great Crusade. More than anything else, it is his character that defines him. All Space Marines stand apart from the humanity they protect, but the Dark Angel is taciturn and aloof even beyond his cousins' standard. He has been groomed by a Chapter that prosecutes war with matchless zeal and cultivates boundless hate and contempt for the enemies of Man, but also oddly takes very little pride in its deeds.

The higher up the ranks of the Dark Angels one looks to, the more they diverge from that archetype. Veterans, especially those belonging to the First and Second Companies, resemble less Space Marines than they do ancient knights of a world nowhere to be found in Imperial history. This, in and of itself, doesn't make them unique: the Blood Angels and Ultramarines possess elite formations with distinct armour, weapons, and regalia. That's where the comparison ends, though. Dark Angels may not suffer insults, but they do not carry themselves like heroes. Their deeds are legend, but they do not boast of them.

That effect is greater as one climbs higher into the Inner Circle. Masters and Librarians carry the look of men as marked by their sins and the things they've seen as they are by their heroics. Chaplains cultivate fear and mercilessness far more than than they do inspiration; they watch for moral dangers more so than they mentor, and punish more than anything else.

As for the warlords that lead them into this Dark Millennium? The name Azrael resonates throughout the Imperium, but no effort has been taken to lionize it, or to cultivate the sort of political allies who would do so. Nor has any real effort been made to cleanse it of any of the notoriety it has accumulated over the years. To the lords of the Imperium, the Supreme Grand Master is another in a long line of Chapter Masters of the Unforgiven who may yet prove himself to be traitor rather than savior. Asmodai, Belial, Ezekiel, Sammael, and Sapphon? Every generation that takes up the mantle of those names cloaks them in yet more shadows and secrets.

Edited by Phoebus