DC as Troops...

SM1981

So complete speculation / wishlisting here but...

Bearing in mind that with the release of the Chaos book Emperors Children now get Noise Marines (formerly Elites) as Troops, and World Eaters now get Beserkers (formerly Elites) a Troops, do we think we could be seeing Death Company as troops post our books launch (whenever it gets here)?

The logic being that generic Chaos armies can still take those as Elites, but the faction focused Emperors Children armies or World Eater armies get the benefit of using them as troops. This would translate as generic Imperial armies still being able to take Death Company as Elites, but faction focused Blood Angels armies would take them as troops.

The president / parallel seems to be there... What do you all think?

Also it would make up for their profile / rules being so poor in comparison to Wulfen etc.

Edited by SM1981

To be fair, Noise Marines were always troops for EC and Berzerkers always were troops for WE. Quite a different situation there.

Anyway, I doubt Deathcompany will become troops. They are not the core/backbone of a BA army. Neither in fluff, nor in crunch.

Except that one (short) time when they were :wink: .

I don't feel like that is very likely. That said, previous editions of our codex did list assault marines as troops, so there's precedent there.

This whole discussion is excluding the fact that you can just choose a detachment that will allow you to make an army of death company as its core. So if this change is to allow Death Company to form the core of your army, you can just pick a Vanguard Detachment instead of making a more drastic change like switching what battlefield role they fill.

was it 5th when DC could not even claim objectives at all?  something about them not being able to stop killing stuff to hold ground effectively.  In light of that I would be pretty surprised if DC became troops choices in our new codex.   You can easily do an all DC army as it is with vanguard detachments. 

If I remember correctly it was the PDF Codex that had Assault Marines and Death Company as Troop choices. That was the Codex that started me into Blood Angels. I wanted Assault Marines as Troops, the DC was a bonus. Not saying it will happen again, but there is precedence (and 8th seems to be calling back on older editions for a few things).