Shooting at Characters

Gentlemanloser

We are told that;

"A character can only be chosen as a target in the shooting phase if they are the closest visible enemy unit"

Not valid target, just 'visible'.

What happens when the closest visible enemy unit is not the character, but is not a valid target?

Say for example the closest visible enemy unit is within 1" of friendly models. So cannot be chosen as a target.

Can the character still be shot at? As they are not the closest visible enemy unit.

Had this been addressed in any FAQs?

The character cannot be targeted unless they have a special rule. It is as the rules say, nearest visible. They have played it this was on the live stream and even commented on the fact that this is the correct way. I'm not sure if it's in the FAQ or the commentary.

Addressed in the Designers Commentary:

Q: If a model cannot shoot at the closest visible enemy unit for some reason (e.g. it is within 1" of one of your units) but the next closest visible enemy unit is a Character, can that model then target the character?

A: No.

Okay folks. It didn't need to be said three different times with reference or confused allusion to the same source thrice. Without any intervening posts or requests for clarification.

Normally I save Rule Five of the OR for when things get a bit tense, but I'm going to invoke it here to stop the dog-pile.

Archived