Cheap, Hobby Changing Method

Smith Kappa

Hello everybody, hope you have come with a beverage and an open mind.

So GW's kits have forever been inflating in price. Sadly for a lot of people its got to the stage where they have had to seriously think about whether or not they want to continue the hobby. Perhaps I have a somewhat sketchy solution if your one of those people. A week ago I received my order of 'Blue Stuff' from an online store called Greenstuff World. Blue stuff is a new generation of thermo plastic molding material wich can become mouldable by immersion in boiling hot water for a few minutes. It drys in around 5 minutes so you can have a workable 2 sided mold in around 15 minutes altogether. So I had a play around trying to replicate some warhammer for educational purposes by using epoxy putty (miliput in my case), it wasn't easy at first and was very frustrating but after using bulldog clamps on the mold i began to have more success;

http://i.imgur.com/moZw4av.jpg

Its going to cost you around 3-5 minutes of your time and about 20p for the material per model, disincluding the 3 hour drying time. The difference in detail is noticable but with more practice you will get better results. In this case its 20p vs £2.28. I havent got around to doing arms yet, it took me a while to master the bodies, though I am certain its doable.

Again its a bit sketchy and might be somewhat ilegal, but its great for duplicating spare parts.

Thoughts?

Casting isn't anything new, but it always helps to remind other hobbyists that it is a viable option.

I invite you to create a tutorial and post it in the Tutorials and How To's forum. One word of caution, though - images shown in the tutorial should be from the Warhammer 40,000 game universe, not Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Archived