Primaris Characters

rendingon1+

Are they worth it? I mean both captains, librarian, chaplain and apothecary. Since we don't have access to lieutenants (yet)I leave primaris ones out.

I don't know if additional wound and attack is enough to choose primaris over standard DA equivalents cause no access to any reasonable weapons/equipment and no means of transportation make them quite weak in my opinion. I might be wrong though, so I ask you guys - yay or nay?

not really, imo there a pass, the librarian is basically ignored because if you want a better foot librarian we have ezekiel whos really really good, what more could u want? he occupies a halfway house for us that is unecissary. he and the chaplain imo are for marine chapters without the relevant characters to fill a similar function as a "better chaplain or librarian" such as the charadons, or the imperial fists.

the apothecary is situationally useful but imo the ravenwing apothecary kicks his teeth in, lets him be more useful to zoom around and plasma talons trump his superior pistol.

the captains that we have now arent really good, i would probably ignore that one, again we have named captains like belial and sammael and even chapter master azreal, when our codex arrives MAYBE the gravis captain becomes practical, we will need to see what becomes of the robotic eye and the shroud and any other relics they have planned to overhaul our dated roster, who knows maybe we get a real weapon instead of the monster hunter for a change. but the standard one is a pass, the plasma pistol power fist birthday variant i CAN see niche use in. hes going to be an exotic pick and a surprise pick. and a person not expecting him might get a nasty surprise. though applications are again limited and niche based on surprise which is a quality that shouldnt be underestimated.

the lieutenants biggest problem is that he cant take any special armors or a bike, otherwise he would be an auto draft on ravenwing and deathwing possibly replacing belial wholesale in deathwing lists where you want to keep costs down to get more men out. the dark angels have traditionally suffered in the numbers department with the monowing armies. so that could change his fortunes though unlikely at this point.

The main problem with Primaris chars at the moment is total lack of access to armoury. It's especially painful for captains and lieutenants as it should be the most customizable primaris chars. Also currently no named primaris characters and as for generic chars they lack customization.

"Hey you, fancy MkX guy, you're not welcome here"

"But...but I'm a Captain for Emperor's sake, let me in"

"Take it easy buddy, here, have a power sword"

The beautiful thing about it all, IMO - "Hey, what's that one guy with the bulky bolt pistol and power sword in Mk3 armor?"

"Oh, that's my Primaris Lieutenant. They just managed to squeeze him into more DA appropriate armor."

i can just image a techmarine with a corwbar stuffing him into it like a teenage japanese boy trying to fit a rhino into a baseball

Thanks for response guys. I thought there is some kind of hidden strenght to them that I'm not aware of, but nope.sigh.

I can't wait to get realmarines lieutenants (hm.... would gw be generous enough to give us death/raven wing ones?).

Oh, and the question: do you use primaris Lts.? Is he more usefull supporting assults or guiding firegroups? I am aware that footslogging makes him less practical and more likely to die sooner when buffing cc units but I had some success with Lt shadowing shooty (yes) termies so (almost) everything is managable when you play carefully. Wht about your Lts?

Edited by rendingon1+

Ah the usual Primaris connundrum, too haughty to fit in a Land Raider let alone a Rhino. GW logic at its finest.

I think of all the Primaris characters, the Banner bearer and Lieutenant is the most useful in their current state. The Lieutenant regardless of his gear only needs to sit back with the devastators/tanks to boost their wound rolls, whereas the Banner will prevent your precious heavy weapons from running away and when they die, potentially give your opponent the middle finger before expiring.

For the rest of them, I don't think as a Dark Angel you should bother since they can't keep up with even Deathwing terminators, let alone Ravenwing.

Sadly, no. They simply lack the flexibility that is gained by customizating wargear. Looking at the current DG release I have to wonder who designed the Primaris? The Librarian is the only one that is remotely useful, as the Primaris version costs as much as the regular one but has +1W and +1A. However, this is more relevant to SM as they have some pretty useful support powers. Not sure DA will get as much mileage out of one. Beyond that, there is literally no reason to run anything Primaris if you want to be efficient.