Air cav tips

oldmanlee

Still not as good as the Vulture. The fact that it needs to drop into Hover Mode, where it loses its Hard To Hit is too big a trade off. Solidifies it as a better Chimera though, and makes it a better choice than the Arvus for transport.

Still not as good as the Vulture. The fact that it needs to drop into Hover Mode, where it loses its Hard To Hit is too big a trade off. Solidifies it as a better Chimera though, and makes it a better choice than the Arvus for transport.

Yeah it's not in the same league as the vulture but a welcome change all the same

Hi fellow guard players

Has anyone tried a air cav list yet in 8th is it worth running at all?

The issue with a flyer based army is that if your ground troops get killed/not on the table. Then you lose, no matter how many flyers you have on the board. 

Bringing flyers is fine providing you have enough ground support; as a result there is unlikely to be many competitive pure air cav  lists any time soon.

Edited by The Catachan Devil

Hi fellow guard players

Has anyone tried a air cav list yet in 8th is it worth running at all?

The issue with a flyer based army is that if your ground troops get killed/not on the table. Then you lose, no matter how many flyers you have on the board. 

Bringing flyers is fine providing you have enough ground support; as a result there is unlikely to be many competitive pure air cav  lists any time soon.

I'm not realy fussed about competitive list anymore just something that's fun to play

• 2 weeks later...

Valks got a 20pt drop in the new Dex and a rule called roving gunship. When there in hover mode no -1 when shooting happy days

Multiple Rocket Pods going from Heavy -> Assault isn’t chopped liver either.

Yeah I think that's my fave change to tell you the truth

Roving gunship is actually +1 to hit, so it's slightly better than ignoring the fire penalty. It means the rocket pods will hit on 3+.  For ~140 points, they are pretty solid transports, compared to for example a Chimera, given the unique method of delivery.  With Tallarn and the Grenadier Stratagem, I plan on packing them full of special weapon squads and going to town.

I hope the Vendetta core chassis gets a similar cut and the roving gunship rule.  Hovering for 6 BS3+ lascannons would make it worth its current 2x Leman Russ cost.

Roving gunship is actually +1 to hit, so it's slightly better than ignoring the fire penalty. It means the rocket pods will hit on 3+.  For ~140 points, they are pretty solid transports, compared to for example a Chimera, given the unique method of delivery.  With Tallarn and the Grenadier Stratagem, I plan on packing them full of special weapon squads and going to town.

I hope the Vendetta core chassis gets a similar cut and the roving gunship rule.  Hovering for 6 BS3+ lascannons would make it worth its current 2x Leman Russ cost.

Yeah we can but hope forgeworld update the index but knowing forgeworld it might be a long time before they get round to doing that

What's the best loadout for a valkyrie? Personally I'm leaning towards multiple rocket pods, heavy bolters, and the multi-laser for hoards. Tooling it up for anti-tank seems like it would be limited by effective ballistic skill and low number of shots. 

What's the best loadout for a valkyrie? Personally I'm leaning towards multiple rocket pods, heavy bolters, and the multi-laser for hoards. Tooling it up for anti-tank seems like it would be limited by effective ballistic skill and low number of shots. 

I would do what you have done, multi shot weapons to deal with low BS. 

Don't think you can go wrong with that load out I'm using vulture gunships for my anti tank needs

Any love for vendettas? The hellfury missiles seem good at 15 points instead of 40 for a twin lascannon. 2 missiles is 4d6 strength 4 shots per turn. With heavy bolters you will average 20 shots per turn of anti-hoard.

What about a vulture with 4x multiple rocket pods. Multiple rocket pods are assault weapons in the codex, so you could hit on 3s against non-flying targets even while moving full speed. You would get one or two less hits on average over twin punisher cannons, but all your hits would have -1 ap. You would actually get more unsaved wounds on average over the punishers, dice God dependent of course.

4 MRPs at D6 shots each:

(4*3.5)*2/3 = 9.3 Hits on average

Punisher Cannons (40 Shots)

40*1/2 = 20 Hits on average

How did you work out that Punishers would only get one or two more hits? Even at peak performance - 24 shots - the MRPs would only average 16 hits.

FW units still use FW rules and stats until they FAQ them to use standard codex stats. Therefore the Vulture's rocket pods are still heavies. It does look pretty dang cool with 4 pods on it though.