Any Speculation as to why Morty does not have a 2+?

bozo69pd

All of the above really.

Man has a 3+ , 4++ and 5+++. However it does not stop there as we also know that Nurgle has spells/abilities that Heal damage, so somewhere down the line there is also the extremely likely regain +D3 Wounds. It's even possible that Mortarion has this ability by himself.

All in all I think you don't need much more protection as that anyway. A 2+ is really cool but this thing truely allready is a Monster. While I believe that GW could have given him the 2+ I also think it would increase his cost so drastically (like we see with a Land Raider) that he'd be close to impossible to put into a 2K list and 'new GW' does seem to design with this more in mind as they used to. Which is the same reason as to why Plague Marines or Rubric Marines for example don't have 2 Wounds either.

I thought the identical statline was a bit odd.

I believe that for fan purposes too this is the "Daemon Primarch statline" you can come to expect for other Daemon Primarchs also, if they will come.

Prime reason is that while narrative sometimes suggests differently the synergy is so different between DG and TS allready that by playing it those stats will never feel like they are exactly the same. 

Again a 5+++ on 18 wounds allready is extremely good, even moreso when you can heal D3 alonside with it. In that same vein Magnus has a whole other set of abilities which make him a Smite monster and very difficult to kill in another manner. While it's likely that Angron will also arrive with this statline the probably fact that he will come with Blood for the Blood God in return would make him an extreme monster in melee etc.

(On a personal level I think Mort's 3+ has nothing to do with game balance. GW has always been a more 'narrative' rules oriented than balance. We all know that. This is why to this day Chaos still has a lot of 'random' where it really would have no place in a 'balanced' rule set.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So my personal belief is Morty's so called 'Terminator' armour is more a skin than armour. A shell to mock what he once was. A poke in the eye to the 'great Imperium technology'.  

His scythe, persona, and physical nature, hovering in warp powered stinky moth wings kind of tell you all you need to know!!!...... This guy doesn't bathe and and hasn't flossed in 10,000 years. A '2+' save is the last thing he cares about. This guy breaks wind and nations die.

To call on his 'armour' for protection is nearly a joke... far more a Daemon than a Primarch. The mighty Papa Nurgle gives him all the protection he needs. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As a side note: This is an interesting dynamic I always felt between Magnus and Mort. Magnus fights and denies Daemonhood... feeling above and beyond it. Mort welcomes it now, and feels closer to his sons sharing those inflictions.

Yeah I am going to have to go with a combo of balance for points cost, big ol wings that could get shot off, and that draigo tattooed Morty's heart. Otherwise I am just sad about not having that 2+ while Guilloman does. It actually really really does make a difference when you get hit by FRFSRF then charged by a blob of conscripts.

Are there other giant daemons with 2+ armor saves? Giant monsters and even knights don't typically get 2+ saves.

Riptides have a 2+ armor save and Landraider do too (which are arguably giant compared with other tanks that are no super-heavies).

Riptides have a 2+ armor save and Landraider do too (which are arguably giant compared with other tanks that are no super-heavies).

Yeah and Baneblades only have a 3+ armour and don't ignore the -1 to hit for moving and shooting heavy weapons. That also makes no sense. So I wouldn't dig too deep with this topic. GW will have thought that Morti probably is hard enough to kill already and just doesn't really need that 2+. 

Edit: Also that story about Draigo beating Mortarion is very badly written. The Grand Master of the Grey Knights first engages Mortarion without a helmet and thus gets Plague-Wind-ed to death. "There's a Daemon Primarch known for spreading disease. Should I wear every protection I have to hopefully stand a chance against this unholy amalgamation of beat? Nah, the big E protects!".

Morty should have enough strength to just bisect Draigo. But not only does Draigo manage to hold his own against a Daemon Primarch, no, he also slips through his psychic defense. 

But the good guys must win. Next time maybe a Commissar just beats Abbadon in single combat or so...

Archived