Shoulder pads!

CrystalSeer

Depending on the area of the model, I will either prime white separately or apply coats of ceramite white. In the second case, I find that applying up to 4 coats of thinned down paint is necessary. Also, I advise to wait until the first coat is completely dry before applying the second one and whenever possible apply brush strokes in a different direction.

I'll have to try the white primer next time, layering watered down white scar paint does take a long time to get an even coverage

As always those models look beautiful Marshall Roujakis

Edited by Zeruvar

The easiest method is to leave the pads off and prime them in white, then attach them.

Cheers,

Jono

I second this.

This is how i do it.

I line the pads up on a piece of masking tape turned upside down. So the pads stick the adhesive, curl over the ends so you can adhere it to a surface to spray paint. Then i paint what ever color border is needed on it be it red for assault or black for initiates.  Then all you have to do is scrape off the shoulders on the arms, and inside the pauldrons to get to naked plastic for gluing.

Smarter not harder!!! 

After painting 20 Dark Imperium Primaris (pre-attached shoulders) marines, I intend to leave shoulders unattached and spray them white/grey. I must have spent like 5-10 hours layering through grey to get to the desired white. It looks pretty good imo, but the amount of effort it took just for the shoulders has me burnt out on painting white anytime soon.

I am very much looking forward to the 30+ Sword Brothers I have on deck if for nothing else than black shoulders with red trim. I think I can knock out a whole squad of 10 sword brethren in the amount of time it took me to do 5 shoulders.