How would you feel if Dorn returned ?

Ciler

Just curious.

On one french 40k forum, people have been debating which of the loyalist primarch was most likely to return, on the basis that we got Guilliman after chaos got Magnus and now they are getting Mortarion so it is conceivable that another "good guy" is on the way.

Dorn has been one of the least likely, because where most of the others are "just" missing, he's presumed dead although no-one actually saw him die.

That got me thinking though. Let's assume he didn't die during that boarding action, only lost his hand and got himself incapacitated and somehow removed from the picture for 10k years, and now he's back. Now of course there's all manners of being back, but I don't know if I'd like the idea. Sure he's our primarch and his name is everywhere, we even have his old sword reforged and everything. But beyond that ? What's Dorn to the Templars in the 40th millennium ? He's not really a role model, his style of warfare isn't ours (any more), and he probably wouldn't be too keen on the whole "worship the emperor as a god" thing (i know, I know, neither are we but it's in the book now).

So yeah, I'm not sure I want Dorn back, I'm debating whether he's not better of as a remote symbol. What do ye think ?  

There's two ways his return would be most awesome. As a Primarch sized Leviathan Dread, something truly epic and in Vengeful Black

leviathan.jpg

or... as the ultimate heresy. That rumour about two Primarchs switching sides, one going loyalist, one traitor / something different? This would have my Templars boil with righteous zeal. Sigismund's exile would be avenged.

corrupted_rogal_dorn_dornian_heresy_by_d

This would be an awesome twist, however horrifying one. I can also see Lion returning (he's alive and fully healed on the Rock!) before Dorn and going "independent", but that's for another thread.

I'm not keen on the idea.  With Russ, the Lion, and the Khan probably being alive I don't want them to introduce Dorn, who we've been given fairly strong implication that he's actually dead.  It feel it's almost cheap to bring any of the most likely dead ones back, traitor primarchs included. 

Edited by MyD4rkPassenger

Hasn't GW already established that we willl see every primarch returning? Even Sanguinis, who is known to be dead.

While this is true, I get the feeling that when Sanguinius does return it would be during 10th ed. or similar, where it would literally be the End TImes of 40k to be overhauled into the actual return of the Emperor and the Age of the Primarchs...

I would be surprised.

If I was going to speculate, I would expect Russ and the Lion to return. More drama there and two potentially wicked looking models.

@KK: I would be very interested in seeing full sized pics of that Levi.

I'm not keen on the idea.  With Russ, the Lion, and the Khan probably being alive I don't want them to introduce Dorn, who we've been given fairly strong implication that he's actually dead.  It feel it's almost cheap to bring any of the most likely dead ones back, traitor primarchs included. 

Don't forget Corax. He will be coming back too, and yes Dorn will as well. Be ready cousins.

Hasn't GW already established that we willl see every primarch returning? Even Sanguinis, who is known to be dead.

While this is true, I get the feeling that when Sanguinius does return it would be during 10th ed. or similar, where it would literally be the End TImes of 40k to be overhauled into the actual return of the Emperor and the Age of the Primarchs...

I replied to a similar thread over in the BA forum a day ago. In summary I had the opportunity to talk to someone informally that is high up in the U.S. side of GW and he said rather non-chalantly and matter-of-fact that the primarchs that were not killed WILL BE coming back- Dorn, Corax, Russ, Khan, and Jonson. Ditto with the falen primarchs that are now Daemon Primarchs. He said that the dead ones will be staying dead- Horus, Manus, Sanguinius, and Kurze.

I know I'm just another poster on here but he was pretty matter-of-fact about it and we talked for over an hour about all things 40k. I didn't get the vibe he was trying to pull one over on me, or anything like that. Believe me, or not. I tend to believe what he said.

... and it was face to face

I honestly expect all the primarchs to eventually return. Why? Because GW can charge 140 for a primarch model and people will pay it.

​Saddest thing is they'd have paid just as much for plastic HH Primarchs and doing that wouldn't have required ruining 40K.

Edited by Yodhrin

I would be surprised.

If I was going to speculate, I would expect Russ and the Lion to return. More drama there and two potentially wicked looking models.

@KK: I would be very interested in seeing full sized pics of that Levi.

It's Lil' Legend's work:

https://spikeybits.com/2016/02/black-templars-leviathan-dreadnought.html

With the upscaling of everything ... Dorn's Dreadnought would have to be damn near Knight Sized

My point exactly. BRING IT.

I'm generally opposed to the idea of Loyalist Primarchs coming back. The thought of some kid pushing around an unpainted Dorn and having him die to some random mob of conscripts, degenerate xenos or mutant rabble fills me with dismay.

Deamon Primarchs don't bother me as much, I've managed the mental gymnastics to land me in a spot where I reason that they a deamons so they can be reincarnated indefinitely and appear all over the place.

However, if Dorn was brought back, I could see myself getting the model for Dorn even though I would have a feeling of self loathing as I did. To be honest, they would have to seriously botch it for me to be completely put off.

Posted · Hidden by Honda, September 6, 2017 - Comment not necessary, attacking
Hidden by Honda, September 6, 2017 - Comment not necessary, attacking

I'm generally opposed to the idea of Loyalist Primarchs coming back. The thought of some kid pushing around an unpainted Dorn and having him die to some random mob of conscripts, degenerate xenos or mutant rabble fills me with dismay.

Oh, god forbid a kid would have some fun with a plastic toy primarch. This cannot stand.

Deamon Primarchs don't bother me as much, I've managed the mental gymnastics to land me in a spot where I reason that they a deamons so they can be reincarnated indefinitely and appear all over the place.

However, if Dorn was brought back, I could see myself getting the model for Dorn even though I would have a feeling of self loathing as I did. To be honest, they would have to seriously botch it for me to be completely put off.

Dorn's comeback will be a good thing IF a competent writer is responsible, with none of the nonsense 'The End Times' was infamous for.

My idea: Perturabo captured Dorn (minus one hand), and spent the last ten millennia torturing his brother in an (unsuccessful) attempt to break Dorn's spirit and bend the loyalist Primarch to his will- even summoning Daemons into Dorn's body, only for the Imperial Fists Primarch to expel the neverborn via sheer force of will (see Marines from the Exorcists Chapter).

When Abaddon's machinations split the galaxy asunder, Dorn uses the resulting distraction to escape. After a long and hazardous journey, Dorn reaches Holy Terra, where he is tested and found to be untainted. The Custodes allows him to speak with his Father; afterwards, he reconciles with his brother Guilliman (both Primarchs have better things to do than squabble like children), and is named Supreme Warmaster of the Imperium.

Cue brutal beatdown of the Traitor Marines' pathetic "Supreme Warmaster".

Dorn's comeback will be a good thing IF a competent writer is responsible, with none of the nonsense 'The End Times' was infamous for.

My idea: Perturabo captured Dorn (minus one hand), and spent the last ten millennia torturing his brother in an (unsuccessful) attempt to break Dorn's spirit and bend the loyalist Primarch to his will- even summoning Daemons into Dorn's body, only for the Imperial Fists Primarch to expel the neverborn via sheer force of will (see Marines from the Exorcists Chapter).

When Abaddon's machinations split the galaxy asunder, Dorn uses the resulting distraction to escape. After a long and hazardous journey, Dorn reaches Holy Terra, where he is tested and found to be untainted. The Custodes allows him to speak with his Father; afterwards, he reconciles with his brother Guilliman (both Primarchs have better things to do than squabble like children), and is named Supreme Warmaster of the Imperium.

Cue brutal beatdown of the Traitor Marines' pathetic "Supreme Warmaster".

Sounds like Lysander instead of Dorn... swap Perturabo with unknown Iron Warriors Warsmith and Supreme Warmaster with 4th Co. Captain...

My idea of a Dorn comeback, isn't a comeback at all...

Cawl has finally done it, he has finally done the unthinkable, he has reached the Emperor's level of wisdom, knowledge and intelligence.

In his vast underground Laboratory in the depths of Mars, he revels upon his greatest work, his greatest achievement, his crowning glory, this creation was from designs he downloaded from the Noospheric waves in the Hall of Glory down in the depths of the Imperial Palace where the Throne of the Omnissiah himself resides, he has finally created one and now perhaps he can create more, and they would be his, his own warlords, his own philosophers, his own heroes, his demi-gods, his Primarchs.

He stares into the depths of the giant vat of bubbling liquids, the content is an exact replica of the statues that line the Imperial palace, an exact copy of the pict capture during the great days of the horus heresy, the clone of the seventh Legion's Primarch slowly floats in the massive pool of genetic fluids, awaiting his time of awakening, to be unleashed once more in the nightmare of the Dark Imperium.

Cawl found humor in this, if he can create his own Primarchs, then perhaps it is time to aim ever higher...

This would be disastrous for the Imperium and their enemies... nothing better than a mad-scientist which is overly ambitious and power-hungry enough to even make his own Primarchs to fight against the current regime... obviously this would be deemed heretical, even by Chaos standards as what was shown in Talon of Horus... but Cawl doesn't care for that... his thirst for knowledge doesn't have borders or control... as long as he gains more, as long as he grows powerful, then he is satisfied... he even tried making Traitor Legion Primaris... I wouldn't be surprised if he took it one step further if he had the knowledge and capability to go further... and if his little trip down the Vaults of Terra and his resurrection and study of Guilliman's physiology gave him glimpses on making his own Dorn or Sanguinius, then why wouldn't he... he'd have a Primarch on his back and this would give GW more opportunity to set up Primarchs as they see fit, if they'd side with Guilliman, Cawl or fall to Chaos and be a Traitor... it'd certainly give the chance to get dead Primarchs back, by having another big civil war involving Cawl setting himself up as the new Emperor... 

He stares into the depths of the giant vat of bubbling liquids, the content is an exact replica of the statues that line the Imperial palace, an exact copy of the pict capture during the great days of the horus heresy, the clone of the seventh Legion's Primarch slowly floats in the massive pool of genetic fluids, awaiting his time of awakening, to be unleashed once more in the nightmare of the Dark Imperium.

Cawl found humor in this, if he can create his own Primarchs, then perhaps it is time to aim ever higher...

:eek:   I just picked up Dark Imperium and haven't made it that far yet.  It sounds like GW is setting us up for the eventual return of, potentially, all Legion Primarchs.  Gotta keep twisting and turning the narrative so we lemmings keep buying their plastic crack (it's working, btw....I'm back for 8th edition and can't wait to get my hands on all the new DG toys!).  Things could get really interesting.

Edited by philsminions

:eek:   I just picked up Dark Imperium and haven't made it that far yet.  It sounds like GW is setting us up for the eventual return of, potentially, all Legion Primarchs.  Gotta keep twisting and turning the narrative so we lemmings keep buying their plastic crack (it's working, btw....I'm back for 8th edition and can't wait to get my hands on all the new DG toys!).  Things could get really interesting.

The quote is not from any source but me, it is not canon in every sort of way unless by some chance GW maks it so... :p it is my own writing and I'm just saying that a great way for Dorn to return is to have Bellisarius Cawl mess w/ the Emperor's creations once more and start cloning Primarchs... a technology that was banned by all the Lords of Terra and the Emperor back before even the Great Crusade was started...

As a Black Templar, I don't think Dorn returning would have much affect on the Chapter unless he enacted his Last Shield or whatever it's called to reform back up into the fists. I would run the model if they had it though, I'd imagine he'd be a more defensive minded Primarch than Guilliman in terms of his abilities and buffs which would be kind of cool to run in the middle of a Black Tide list.

I've been getting really close to buying a Guilliman model and painting him in Black Templar colors because the model is just so good and as a Lord of War he can fit into any Imperial army.

Edited by Brother_Gneecapper

I would like to see the decay of the Imperium embodied by the Primarchs, Guilliman is now interred in a life support system and forced to take over the Imperium, something that in a sense was not what the Emperor wanted and despite his ambitions its not what Guilliman wants. In that sense I would love to see a Wulfen'd Russ and in the case of Dorn I think him being interred in a dreadnought would fit with his character and the Imperium's decay, Dorn is not someone to back off easily and would rather die in victory than retreat and live in defeat which is why his character could easily be of the Primarch that sacrificed it all for the Imperium, his body ravaged by wounds too fatal for a Primarch he now should live as crippled remains for even in death duty does not end. It fixes the problem of "Where is Dorn?" He was dead, now "missing" but missing isnt fitting for someone who was always willing to go into the fight and safeguard the Imperium, the question of where is Dorn is best answered as dead or crippled beyond repair and unable to lead his legion, in stasis somewhere in the depths of the Imperial Palace perhaps now part of the Custodes arsenal.

Dorn should be in a Dreadnought, for it is the ultimate pain glove.