Primaris. Can we compete without them?

Stemplar

Much like others before me, I don't think you need primaris in a space marine army. They fulfil different battle roles and thus their relevance will mostly depend on how your overall list is built.

If you play in the templar spirit of charging and close combat, then most primaris units are not relevant (except reivers). If you play in a more ranged style, then some primaris units may be a better alternative than the regular ones.

I haven't followed the international scene lately, but locally in France, Primaris lists have not performed significantly better than mixed and non-primaris marine lists.

I think in the end it falls down to how you get satisfaction from playing the game. Some will like having a pure-fluff army, and thus accept it might not be competitive. Others play to win games and might deviate from the lore. I am the latter one. I picked Templar cause I like them, but I won't shut myself out from other goodies as well if they help me win :-).

*Nods in approval*

You are welcome as allies to the Njesta Crusade anytime.

I like the Rievers with the skull faces and also the plasma weapon models for the Hellblasters. If it wouldn't throw off the scale for everything else I have (plus all the $ and work I have to do again), I'd remake my army with primaris models but still use regular marine rules.