Magnetising a metal Typhoon missile launcher?

Jolemai

After a spot of advice. I'm looking at magnetising my Land Speeder Typhoon so it can switch between "regular" and Typhoon mode, but the catch is that the TML is white metal. Unlike the newer, plastic model it doesn't come with its own set of doors - it has a flat, square, bit to attach somehow.

gallery_62972_9848_474365.jpg

Would it best if I hid a large magnet on the inside of the door, glued it shut, and sunk 1/2 magnets into the TML? I'm also concerned how this would look as I don't believe the model was intended to appear like that?

IIRC, on that model, you didn't use the doors at all when assembled correctly. I would place a large bit of plastic bar inside in the right spot, glue a magnet to that, as well as to the launcher. (Since the launcher is metal, magnet-on-magnet will be better than magnet-on-washer).

This way, you have the right magnet position for 'normal' mode. You can then glue another piece of plastic to the inside of the door, as well as a washer. That way, you can remove the launcher and replace it with the door.

IIRC, on that model, you didn't use the doors at all when assembled correctly. I would place a large bit of plastic bar inside in the right spot, glue a magnet to that, as well as to the launcher. (Since the launcher is metal, magnet-on-magnet will be better than magnet-on-washer).

This way, you have the right magnet position for 'normal' mode. You can then glue another piece of plastic to the inside of the door, as well as a washer. That way, you can remove the launcher and replace it with the door.

Correct. Today I've dug out the instructions and it says to glue the square end to the cylindrical piece in the back (maybe it also means the bottom?)... Depending on the fit I'll try some sprue and a large magnet there. The doors I may even use sheet metal with spacers.

Another recommendation: use two magnets per missile pod, top-and-bottom, to keep the pod from drooping when attached. Maybe even have the two magnet polarities reversed so the pod can only attach in one position. 

The part has two "squares" - one vertical and one horizontal - which are 9 x 9 mm. I could put a small magnet on the horizontal square (I plan on doing  a large one on the vertical anyway) and attach to to the base, or maybe even a pin? It "shouldn't" spin anyway but there's nothing wrong with taking precautions.