Primaris Reivers and Grapple Launcher?

ValourousHeart

Currently building a set of Reivers, and I'm curious about everyone's experience with them.

I'm planning on running these with a mostly Ravenwing list.

Hoping they can fly from rooftop to rooftop and off-set the fact that my bikes can't go up stairs.

Grapple Launcher rules state that when models with one move they ignore vertical distance.

But does this happen just during the movement phase, or any time the unit is moved (Advance, Charge, Pile-in, Fall Back and Consolidate).

For example, a unit is holding an objective on the 4th floor of a building (12 inches off the table) and the unit of Reivers is 3 inches from the base of the building at the start of the charge phase.

Normally that would require a 15 inch charge, which would not be possible for other units.

Would the Reivers with Grapple Launchers treat it as a 3 inch charge?

How do Grapple Launchers work with unit coherency?

In the above example, if the last Reiver in line doesn't quite make it to the base of the building and therefore is stuck at table level, do I have to leave a model on every floor to keep coherency?

Do you think Grav-chutes (deep strike) are worth it, since I'm already taking Grapple Launchers (set up within 6" of any board edge)?

I'm also considering picking up a Repulsor Tank as an alternative deployment option for them.

Good idea, bad idea?

I am also building up a set of reivers but have not taken them in a game yet. Planning on pairing them with a jetpack Int Chappy for rerolls in combat and stacking -2 leadership. The way I understand the rules is the grapple launcher effects all movement including charge and yes they would treat that as a 3 inch charge. I think if you take the grapple launchrs you dont need the grav chutes. I have deathwing deep striking more in the middle of the table for that sort of role and let the reivers and jetpack chappy be backfield harassment.

Tried all of the setups. I found Grav Shutes + Carbines to be the best by quite some distance. The issue I encountered with Grapples is that 6" any any edge is fairly limiting and I have yet to encounter a competitive list with immobile backfield elements to ambush. Most lists I faced had at least 6" mobility and no penalty for moving. I found Deep Strike to be far more unpredictable, as the opponent needed to cover a lot of angles and I had the option of either dropping 9" away or get an obejctive. The vertical movement for grapples never came into effect.

Melee had the issue that the unit did nothing upon arrival. Either the unit I could charge was too powerful to handle, or I simply failed the 9" charge. 24" shooting is more flexible, as you can drop on an objecive, which is outside of the typical Marine deathball or drop next to one unit to attempt to charge it but shoot another.

Shooting is simply superior to melee, unless you are using DWK or TWC or something. Reiver melee is highly negligible, but the shooting is very flexible. Add to it the flexibility of deep strike and you have a very good unit to do niche jobs while your main deathball rolls forward and kill the opponent.

Really cool insight on shooting. But what's the point of taking them then? They shed simple bolter fire, could the incessors do a better job than reivers? Same drop, a lot of bolter dakka.

As for melee I don get why super-elite terror squad uses simple knives. I get the commando feel, but it's just stupid to drop a squad of elite super-soldiers on advanced grav-chutes and give them... knives.

I really don't get the new primaris guys. They have more wounds, but they are not as versatile as good ol' trusty space marine. General lack of transportation except for deep strikes and LR-tier Repulsor. It's just weird to me.

Edited by Komodo

Well my lists don't seem to have trouble clearing units (turns out Land Speeder squadrons are good this edition).

But I don't want my speeders having to camp objectives.

As for melee I don get why super-elite terror squad uses simple knives. I get the commando feel, but it's just stupid to drop a squad of elite super-soldiers on advanced grav-chutes and give them... knives.

Yes of course having power weapons would make them significantly better.  But I look at the Terror Troops rule as essentially a WFB banner.  It didn't make a not scary unit all of the sudden super scary.  It just made them sightly better in that they counted as having inflicted an extra wound, which is effectively what this is doing.  1 wound is treated like 2 for the test.

Because with the skull masks and painted black, with their aura of fear they are like a squad of chaplain apprentices. How cool is that?

And better still is the option to stack the two auras.  1 wound is treated like 3 for the test.

If your obj- sec camping take scouts, I've added quite a few squads just as push out units to control the board.

Am modelling all of mine with pistols current meta round here makes -1 a must if available, also you can give them both chutes and grapples and if your pushing forward you need multiple threats.

Also for measuring insertion you have to be 9" away grappels ignore point to point and there's no where I can find that says you include the bonus from grapples when you drop so you'd measure them as normal.

We've taken the 9" rule literally and measure point to point for everything including squads in buildings