Oddball Infantry

Withershadow

So there is a thread already about troops.  Core CSM are pretty poor overall, but could be decently useful as objective grabbers if used 2x5 squads and shoved in a Rhino for maximum firepower (2 combis and 2 specials, plus whatever weapons on the Rhino).  The only issue with that each such unit is effectively 3 deployments for getting first turn, which is not ideal.  Running a 10-man unit reduces the deployments and is better for stratagems, but makes you more vulnerable to battle shock.  Cultists are nice and cheap in an edition that likes numerous screening troops, but they are pretty pathetic at range and in melee.  They have an interesting stratagem, but seriously suffer from morale (Apostles don't really help this).

There are multiple threads about the Cult troops, and they are all pretty solid.  Once the Thousand Sons also get their Codex, all the big four dedicated Legions will be able to ignore the troop dilemma above.

I haven't seen a specific thread about them, but there has been some discussion about the more elite Chaos Marines.  Chosen seem bad, paying 3 points for an extra melee attack and a few more weapon options.  Havocs are quite good, being basically cheaper Chosen with the option to take multiple heavy weapons.  Terminators are improved in this edition with pin-point deep strikes, extra wounds, and infinite combi-weapon use.  Raptors and Warp Talons seem ...eh, good for Night Lords I guess?  Bikers seem pretty sweet, being relatively durable, very fast, and putting out a lot of firepower (they get to keep their combi-bolters on the bike and add a special weapon and fire both).

I haven't, however, seen much discussion on the really funky stuff.  Possessed seem really bad to me.  Their weapon profile is pretty good, but only if you roll a 3 for their attacks do they seem impressive.  Obliterators got some much-needed love with an increase to 4 shots per guy, but still seem quite expensive for what they do.  Finally, there are the Mutilators, who were awful last edition, but actually seem pretty decent this time around.  They don't have the horrendous cost issues of Obliterators, maintain the 3-wound terminator profile, and unlike possessed always have 3 attacks.  The movement of 4" and inability to take icons hurts, but they can still deep strike at least.

What are people's thoughts on these Chaos-infused infantry options?  Are they embarrassed by their Loyalist counterparts?

Uhm...if you put the 2x5 into a Rhino it's only 1 deployment drop and not 3.

Possessed are better than Chosen for melee. They are essentially Chosen with Power Axes, two wounds and a 5++ for less points. So in an army that has no access to Berzerker and if you aren't willed to spend as many points on Terminators (because if you take Terminators you should just as well give them combi-plasma or whatever....it's the only infantry unit we have that are good at melee and shooting at the same time) they're the best infantry choice for melee. Unless of course you are extremely unlucky and constantly roll 1 attack for them.

No opinion on Oblits and Multis tho. Just aweful models.

We've been playing that each unit is a separate unit and is deployed one at a time.  So you deploy the transport, and then deploy two units into the transport. There are no more dedicated transports as we used to have them where a vehicle belonged to a unit and counted as part of it for deployment and movement shenanigans like scout or infiltrate.  I see the side-bar on transports, though, so maybe you're right.  Will have to bring that up in the next game night.

Being "better" than Chosen isn't saying much, and with detachments I don't see how anyone has "no access" to Berserkers.

We've been playing that each unit is a separate unit and is deployed one at a time.  So you deploy the transport, and then deploy two units into the transport. There are no more dedicated transports as we used to have them where a vehicle belonged to a unit and counted as part of it for deployment and movement shenanigans like scout or infiltrate.  I see the side-bar on transports, though, so maybe you're right.  Will have to bring that up in the next game night.

Being "better" than Chosen isn't saying much, and with detachments I don't see how anyone has "no access" to Berserkers.

Then you've been playing it wrong. Read the design commentary. It clearly says "When you choose to set up a transport, declare what units (if any) are ebarked inside - these are not seperate deployment choices."

Being "better" than Chosen says enough since it's the most similar melee infantry choice. The others all are more expensive with different stats and lower model count. Except for Berzerker. So why not take them? Because not everyone actually wants a detachment just for Berzerker in their EC/DG/TSons army obviously.

^ That's a very good point I hadn't considered. Looking over the Chaos Codex, I'm seeing Greater Daemon and Herald of <> as options, as well as the Tally of Pestilence.  I assume the FW index has more daemon-oriented buffs? Very interesting.

Then you've been playing it wrong. Read the design commentary. It clearly says "When you choose to set up a transport, declare what units (if any) are ebarked inside - these are not seperate deployment choices."

If you're going to take a rude tone, at least provide a specific page reference.  If you're talking about the side-bar on transports, it does not state "these are not separate deployment options", but rather that they "start the battle embarked within it instead of being set up separately -- declare what units are embarked inside the transport when you set it up", which is somewhat more vague.  Or actually, don't bother, as you've already exceeded my threshold for tedium.  I appreciate the comment and as I said we will discuss it during the next game night, but debating these minutia was not my intended purpose for this thread, I was just briefly summarizing previous discussions.  The topic is our daemonic infantry options.

Edited by Withershadow

What are people's thoughts on these Chaos-infused infantry options?  Are they embarrassed by their Loyalist counterparts?

Possessed, Obliterators and Mutilators have some functionality. However they are indeed not the common pick, much of this comes forth out of manouvrability on their own.

Possessed are still quite fast, I think they can be interesting with some Legions, such as Renegades, World Eaters or Emperor's Children but overall are very melee driven in a faction that really has no shortage of good melee choices. In many cases the excistance of the Daemon Prince also removes reasons to run a whole unit of these. As Daemon Princes from the respective Renegades, World Eaters and Emperor's Children also are fully capable of hitting like a brick. Nontheless, some can considert this, it's a narrative choice to me. Possessed offer something we see a lot in CSM, a good combat unit.

Obliterators are good in my eyes, the real question indeed is if your willing to pay the cost. They are worth it, due to deep strike options but as with the others you don't always need it.

Mutilators in my opinion are rather useless at this point still. What they lack is the simple option to compete with Power Fists, Lightning Claws and or Chain Fists but they can't really do that and that makes me a bit upset considering they won't be going anywhere quick enough after arriving.

All in all I'm happy that these units excist but think they could have been made more relevant with some specific designed Stratagems. There is some hope for them in that department aswell because they indeed have the Daemon Keyword. For the time being it's often easier and rewarding to include Chaos Spawn or Berzerkers over Mutilators and Possessed.

The fact that Troop choices in CSM don't really excite too many is common in the MEQ books though. Cultists still are a very good way to fill mandatory Troop slots in a cheap way though.

^ That's a very good point I hadn't considered. Looking over the Chaos Codex, I'm seeing Greater Daemon and Herald of <> as options, as well as the Tally of Pestilence.  I assume the FW index has more daemon-oriented buffs? Very interesting.

If you're going to take a rude tone, at least provide a specific page reference.  If you're talking about the side-bar on transports, it does not state "these are not separate deployment options", but rather that they "start the battle embarked within it instead of being set up separately -- declare what units are embarked inside the transport when you set it up", which is somewhat more vague.  Or actually, don't bother, as you've already exceeded my threshold for tedium.  I appreciate the comment and as I said we will discuss it during the next game night, but debating these minutia was not my intended purpose for this thread, I was just briefly summarizing previous discussions.  The topic is our daemonic infantry options.

That was rude? The more you know. Also I thought anyone would be capable of using the search function in a PDF but oh well. Page 3, there you go.

And no I'm not talking about the side-bar on transports. I specifically said in the Designer's Commentary. It's on the Warhammer-Community website. Forgive me if I don't link it directly to you but I'm sure you are able to search for "FAQ" on your own.

I know that this time my tone was rude. But I'm honestly annoyed for being called out rude when I'm just trying to help and even provided a source and exact quote on the part you needed. One would think people would be more thankful for getting help on parts they got wrong lol

I haven't tried mutilators yet but to be honest they look quite fairly priced.

Lightning claw terminators are only 7 points cheaper. For that you get +2 str +1w for -1 m. For a minimum unit its 215 pts for 10 wounds vs 150 pts with 9 wounds. I don't think anyone would ever take a unit of 5 LC termies but 3 mutilators is much easier to fit into a list.

I specifically said in the Designer's Commentary. It's on the Warhammer-Community website. Forgive me if I don't link it directly to you but I'm sure you are able to search for "FAQ" on your own.

The designer's commentary isn't in the FAQ section so its quite hard to find.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary.pdf

I haven't tried mutilators yet but to be honest they look quite fairly priced.

Lightning claw terminators are only 7 points cheaper. For that you get +2 str +1w for -1 m. For a minimum unit its 215 pts for 10 wounds vs 150 pts with 9 wounds. I don't think anyone would ever take a unit of 5 LC termies but 3 mutilators is much easier to fit into a list.

I specifically said in the Designer's Commentary. It's on the Warhammer-Community website. Forgive me if I don't link it directly to you but I'm sure you are able to search for "FAQ" on your own.

The designer's commentary isn't in the FAQ section so its quite hard to find.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary.pdf

It is in the same article as the most recent FAQ which should be the first place to check when you have rules questions and can't find anything about it in the rulebook.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/23/updated-faqs-and-boots-on-the-groundgw-homepage-post-2/

I think possessed are actually really solid for a melee unit (however, the viability of pure melee units at all is unclear.) They are inferior to Berzerkers, but may have some uses in lists that can't use them. This is mostly due to them being 2 wound. They are extremely cheap for multi-wound power armored units. Their increase in speed, strength, and invul saves is nice too. At first I was deterred by their attacks, but once you consider their strength, ap-2 and durability, I think it evens out unless you're trying to mulch through hordes.

Where possessed will really shine is with buffs and auras, especially if you bring in a herald. S6 AP-2 is no joke if you want to take down tough models. Mark them and give them any of the defensive psychic powers and you'll get a bigger gain than on many other units. However I think they'll shine most as Slaanesh using the Feel No Pain power to maximize their staying power. Put them in either an emperor's children or Alpha Legion list and you'll have a nasty unit that's very difficult to get rid of. Add a Herald for +1 strength and the extra fight psychic power and it can get really nasty.

I've wondered about using a 20 man possessed unit with Alpha Legion and infiltrating it turn 1 with their stratagem, then buff it up with psychic powers. 3+, 5++, 5+++ and 2 wounds is a pain to deal with. Nothing is going to get rid of that efficiently.

Overall, I think they are good for their points within the context of a daemon themed CSM force that makes proper use of buffs. However, as I said before about melee units, I'm not sure if this sort of list is viable overall.

Oblits seem interesting now that they have 4 shots each. But I'm so sick of them from previous editions that I'm not in a hurry to try them. Combi-plasma terminators seem better, and are a similar points cost in the end (~250-270 for 5 man combiplas depending on wargear, 225 for 3 obilits.)

Mutilators are garbage. And stupid. The whole idea of them was GW not understanding what the players wanted at the time. "Hey, people really use a lot of Oblits. They must really like them! Let's give them more!"

Sorry, I'm still cynical about years of being forced to use oblits to be competitive.

Combi-plasmas just aren't traditional chaos weapons. It was always combi-flamers and combi-meltas until the 4th ed book, that's why those are the ones in the box. Its like giving chaos terminators power swords, its just wrong.

I'm converting some cataphracti into mutilators right now. I'm just going to ignore the fluff and use the rules for possessed in terminator armour since that's basically what they are.

I always liked the idea of Obliterators but hated how they ruined the internal balance. Now that they're more unique I have no problems with them. I even like the models, as badly scaled as they are.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Combi-plasmas just aren't traditional chaos weapons

2ed and 3ed, and then gav dex etc seem to disagree with the statment. Also basing the "fluff" of a weapon option on how many such weapons puts in to a box is wrong, wrong even for loyalist space marines.

Hi Brothers, been seeing an Oddball Infantry in my meta.  It's not something I'd have imagined, but having seen it in action, I have to acknowledge its effectiveness.

Tzaangor Rhino Rush

This is completely counter-intuitive, but I think it happens to fit the meta of 8th ed right now.  Tzaangors are those Tzeentch mutants.  Here's what they bring:

Almost the same statline as a (Chaos) Space Marine - WS of 3+, S4, T4, but their BS is 4+ and lower Ld

A 5+ Invuln save rather than Power Armour - in this new age of AP weaponry, I've noticed body armour isn't what it used to be.  Invuln saves seem more useful now

They have special AP -1 Chainswords - yeah, about AP weaponry, these are 0 points cost AP chainswords (i.e. give an extra attrack) exclusive to them

They're just slightly more expensive than Cultists, still about half the price of a (Chaos) Space Marine.  Considering the surprisingly similar statline, having 5++ instead of 3+ and AP -1 chainswords, I honestly would prefer them to Cultists.  At least they do something other than being purely Objective holders.

Because they're classified under Faction: Thousand Sons, they actually can ride Rhinos (or other Heretic Astartes Vehicles).  Whereas Rhinos for Marines are just there to get them somewhere, Tzaangor benefits a bit from the extra defense Rhinos give against anti-horde weapons, so it's a little more valuable to them.

So far, of the Troops choices, I found this to be one of the more interesting ones in practice, even though on paper it just looks weird.  Definitely an Oddball Infantry choice, but every time I've seen them I felt they're one of the better choices for Chaos Troops (mainly because there's not many great choices there imho).

A similar idea - Poxwalker Rhino Rush.  This is the more defensive option, where the Rhino provides them some small arms protection and makes up for their low M 4".

A Perspective on Obliterators

Just faced Obliterators last night, where they really performed above expectations, to the point I gave them another look.  Now, I actually agree with the resentment we may feel towards them from previous editions, and you may still legitimately feel they're overcosted because some things in 8th just seem overcosted for what they do in the current meta, but let me just do a quick sum-of-the-parts points calculation to gauge the Obliterators' points cost.  Here's what they bring:

An improved Terminator "body" - basically +1 to S, A, but also to W with their 2+/5++

Basically 2 improved autocannons - their fleshmetal guns have random stats, but even on average rolls, they're slightly better than regular autocannons (S8, AP -2, Damage 2).  Now, they have half the range of an autocannon, but with the Obliterator's "deep strike", they'll easily be within striking distance, so it's not really an issue.

(Reminder - as mentioned above, Obliterators improved from the Chaos Index to the Chaos Space Marines Codex, going from Assault 2 to Assault 4.)

Forget in both cases their base unit and their weapons are a little bit better than their comparable counter-parts, just adding the points cost of a normal Terminator and 2 normal autocannons, actually cost more than an Obliterator.  Now, you may feel "well, both Terminators and autocannons are overpriced" in which case fair enough (because I personally agree autocannons are a little overpriced, especially since I prefer Heavy Bolters now in the current meta and they're half the price).

The kicker, I discovered last night, is that this is the age of Command Points and re-rolls, probably the best re-roll in many Shooting Phases is just the Damage roll of the Fleshmetal Guns.  When you have a squad that can deal 12 shots, being able to deal 3 damage per shot is so useful that my opponent would just re-roll if he got a 1.  The idea is that that single Damage roll applies to the WHOLE squad, whereas with in most cases where you get like D3 shots it only applies to a SINGLE weapon.  It's just a weird game mechanic that happens to really take advantage of the re-roll rules.

Not pressuring anyone to take Obliterators; in fact, I wish my opponent didn't take them against me, I tell ya, but imho I legitimately think Obliterators are pretty good for their price in this current 8th ed meta.  I'm thinking of converting some Oblits based on 30k armour myself.

I think Heretic Astartes Daemon Infantry have got some really nice potential for synergy with Daemon buffs and psychic powers. I think they will only get better when the Daemon codex is released with expanded psychic disciplines.

I just picked up a Herald of Nurgle for summoning to buff my turn 2 deep-striking Warp Talons with Virulent Blessings. Combined with VotLW they wound Storm Ravens on a rerollable 3+ and do double damage on a 5+ to wound. If I manage to get Prescience off on them combined with DttFE a unit of 10 can get real crazy. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to do something similar with Possessed or Mutilators.

I've always liked Obliterators, never for their stats I just liked the idea of big hulking terminators with heavy weapons. This edition they are proving very fun. In my last game with them I was unlucky and rolled a 1 for every damage roll, but it wasn't an issue. 12 high strength shots will wittle things down with ease. I like using them in tandem with terminators, almost like a support squad as they deep strike down. Terminators can get ready to get into combat while the obliterators just keep things at bay. 

Chosen from my uses so far are, eh. They need to be kitted out for a certain role I feel. They aren't anymore survivable than a normal marine you just get the option of all the power weapons or all the special weapons. I can see them being more useful in power rating games as you can then just give them all power swords/axes/fists what ever and have them follow your HQ into combat. If they had access to stormshields or even a 4++ then it would give them a lot more options. 

Also Tzaangor rhino rush, it sounds like one of those ideas so crazy it just works.

Tzaangors are definitely an interesting choice, though they aren't available to non-TS Legions which can make things difficult if you want to remain battleforged for a Legion trait. Movement 4" though? In the Index they are movement 6" and can take an instrument for better charges.

Thank you for the various perspectives on Possessed, looking over some other melee options it seems an average of 2 swings is actually where most even elite combat units reside. It's just spawn (especially FW giant spawn) and Berks are on a whole different level with volume of attacks.

I guess the same re-roll that benefits the Obliterators' damage will also benefit the Possessed' swings. When cost is considered, Oblits compare favorably to Centurions (43 points more for a grav cannon one). I think both Oblits and Mutilators definitely suffer from past edition stigma. The lack of ranged attacks and slow speed are barriers, but we do have ways to mitigate that. For example Arkos can give them +1 to charge distances, which effectively makes their threat range 6+2D6" when walking, which isn't terrible. Then there is also the fix-all Warp Time. I actually think their weapons are comparable to Terminator power fists, with S6-8 (7-9 with herald) and D3 damage. The AP is variable but unlike fists they don't suffer -1 to hit and have an extra attack.

Combi-plasmas just aren't traditional chaos weapons

2ed and 3ed, and then gav dex etc seem to disagree with the statment. Also basing the "fluff" of a weapon option on how many such weapons puts in to a box is wrong, wrong even for loyalist space marines.

I'm not saying anything about 'fluff', there's literally no combi-plasma option for terminators in the 2nd ed or the 3rd ed book, I'm not basing anything off what's in the box. I only mentioned the box because it followed the old codex despite being released alongside a book that changed things. I'd get out my scanner to prove it but I don't care that much.

A similar idea - Poxwalker Rhino Rush.  This is the more defensive option, where the Rhino provides them some small arms protection and makes up for their low M 4".

Tzaangors are definitely an interesting choice, though they aren't available to non-TS Legions which can make things difficult if you want to remain battleforged for a Legion trait. Movement 4" though? In the Index they are movement 6" and can take an instrument for better charges.

Sorry if unclear, was referring to an alternate idea of Poxwalker Rhino Rush at the end of that section.  Poxwalkers are 4" thus especially benefit from Rhino.

Regarding trading off Legion traits for Tzaangors, I just want to highlight in this age of Detachments, Legion Traits are Detachment-wide rather than army-wide.  You can do 1 Battalion Detachment of like 2 Renegade & Heretics Malefic Lords + things like Tzaangors in Rhinos (because Malefic Lords are really low-cost/good-value HQs), using the general Chaos faction.  Then you take your Chaos Legion in a separate Detachment and they retain their Legion Traits.

I point this out because we're still getting out of our old habits of Force Organisation Charts.  Chaos in particular has really flexible options structuring their armies.

A Tzaangor rhino sounds like än awesome conversion opportunity! :)

Also, jeske, the only combi-plasma I remember in 2nd ed was Azrael's. Flamers and meltas were all we got on the termies.

Tzaangor rhino rush sounds fun and rather querky for sure. You could add a winged demon prince or two for support and re-rolls psychic power support. And maybe Magnus too.

Just came back from a tabletop RPG with that player, he does use a Winged Daemon Prince or two, they're the best complement apparently.

A Tzaangor rhino sounds like än awesome conversion opportunity! :smile.:

I was honestly thinking of how Beastmen were Abhumans in 1st/early 2nd ed, and can serve in the Imperial Guard.  Back then, the IG could use Rhinos.  Tzaangor Rhino Rush really reminded me of that because they're basically fancy Beastmen, and I just got this meta-plot in my head where this army represents the IG Beastmen that got kicked out of the military due to changes in Imperial law i.e. new editions of 40k.

I think mechanized infantry style, so normal CSMs and berserkers in rhinos and bikers can work, this way you get mobile well protected core of the army. With everyone hoarding Heavy Bolters or Assault Cannons or Similar weapons these days, MEQs in the open are so easy to be hurt. Also if enemy has huge alpha strike potential, you can easily deploy your havocs inside a rhino with normal CSM/Berserkers behind it in LOS cover. Then come your turn you can disembark Havocs, embark the CSM/Berserkers and begin your assault and counter-strike. I personally love having atleast 1-2 rhinos in my lists, they just give so much flexibility and annoyingly hard for most enemies to remove, considering their cheap cost.

Cult infantry have mostly same weaknesses as normal CSM (well rubrics and plagues are more durable but of course this is reflected in their price) so they also benefit equally from protection provided by rhinos/transports.

Bikers aren't strictly speaking infantry, but look surprisingly good with meltas, mostly because they can shoot a lot (RAW they can keep combi-bolters), and in some cases aren't easily removed by commonly spammed weapons. For example the same Heavy Bolters/Assault Cannons are not overwhelmingly efficient against bikers, especially if your bike squad has around 4-6 models, so the enemy needs serious concentration of fire to remove these super mobile meltas. Also any ignored 4-6 model biker squad can seriously hurt any horde type infantry or unit such as scouts when they rapid fire all their weapons within 12" of enemy.

Chosen I wouldn't use, although I have mathhammered around with the idea of dropping 2x5 combi-plasma chosen with Dreadclaw, it's brutal firepower, especially if you fire twice one of them. But then come enemy turn, those chosen are so easy to remove with concentrated fire. Rolling them in with a rhino then again makes the rhino a prime and easy target. And tbh havocs can do almost the same for cheaper price. And after all this, you can get around 7-8 combi-plasma terminators with the price of 2x5 combi-plasma chosen/havocs + dreadclaw, but the terminators are much harder to remove and actually benefit more from the fire twice and NL -1 to fire at stratagems. They also benefit more from dropping in the sorcerer with warptime and prescience.

Bikers can keep their twin boltguns, but if they give up the boltguns for a special weapon they get to keep their bolt pistol and can then swap that for a chainsword. Just something I noted but it won't help me because I'm Black Legion but it would be neat with renegades.

The fact that you can do special weapon spam with Havocs for cheaper than Chosen means we need to be looking at Chosen in a different way; that approach is a dead end for them.  The advantages of Chosen over Havocs and CSMs are their higher leadership and higher attack values, so to make them worthwhile you need to leverage those stats.  Fill them up with power weapons instead of plasma guns, for examples; power swords are what, 4 points a piece?  The Chosen Champ with double lightning claw has four attacks; that's HQ slot numbers!  And with an Icon of Vengeance, they're Ld10, which is pretty rare nowadays, so you don't have to worry about them running away most of the time if you have a bad phase.

Now I haven't mathhammered anything regarding this, so I don't know if it's a good option or if it's necessarily the most cost efficient way to build a melee-effective squad.  Berzerkers are going to be better for blendering most things I'm sure, Possessed are more durable, Raptors and Warp Talons are more mobile.  But if you're going to use Chosen -- IF -- I feel like that's a better way to do it than to start loading up on combis.