Subtleknife's return to 40k

Subtleknife

Hello,

It has been a long time since I last had anything to do with Warhammer in general (a good 12 years I think). However, with the advent of 8th edition  producing new models/the fluff moving forward, it has piqued my interest. I therefore dived right back in with the Dark Imperium box set. The army I have chosen was the one I collected 12 years ago which is Ultramarines. Since I intend to get back into the gaming side of the hobby as well Ultramarines will feature heavily as I try to get an army together. I then plan to branch out to other figures that look fun to paint.

I paint pretty slowly and work does take me away from the hobby but I hope to keep updating this page at a reasonable rate. Hopefully, this also helps to document the progress I make as well.

And so, without further gilding the lily, and with no more ado, I give you my humble attempt at the VIII.

Airbrushes weren't such a big thing when I used to paint but the effect they can produce can save a lot of time so I decided to purchase one and try it out. Here is my first attempt with one trying to nail down the final colour scheme for my army. It is a rough attempt.

X60eULN.jpg?2

I also wanted to add some battle-damage. Having not painted in a while I kinda went all out on the damage and in my opinion put way to much on, I will be interested to hear what others think? It was a bit irritating as I wasn't planning to scrap this model. Once I realised I had gone slightly overboard on the damage I decided to test a few more ideas on the model. I am largely happy with the TMM gold on the shoulders and the brown pouches (although the contrast will be greatly reduced).

http://i.imgur.com/zb0Kt1t.jpg?1

So with my mistakes hopefully behind me I primed the rest minus the Sgt from earlier...

http://i.imgur.com/PTpdzVd.jpg?1

Im still unsure how to replace the Sgt, I will figure that out at a later date. Taking what I had learned from my previous attempts I started painting my first non-test model. I am happy how it has turned out so far:

http://i.imgur.com/2udR5mv.jpg?1

Hopefully I havent broken any forum rules with this. Any suggestion please let me know, C and C are always welcome.

Subtleknife.

Edited by Subtleknife

Welcome back to the hobby! The second model looks much better, to the point of looking pretty awesome, though it's a shame to see such a neat paintjob wasted on ultrasmurfs :P. Kidding aside, the second primaris is great, the only suggestion I would make would be adding a final light in silver to the gold, it adds a level of depth, which is very appreciated on metals.

Fantastic paint jobs! I'm a big fan of physical battle damage instead of just having it painted on, so the sergeant for me isn't too damaged I think. If you think about it he SHOULD have the most damage because he probably got to be the sergeant from fighting the hardest.

He looks good, but why use a lighter shade of blue than most Ultramarines? Is it meant to be faded, due to wear and tear encountered during an extended campaign? From another time period (compare the blue-gray color M41 Space Wolves wear, the battleship-gray their M31 predecessors wore)?

Awesome work buddy, and welcome back :smile.:

If you are still planning on replacing the Sergeant - why not try to get the Birthday Veteran Sergeant?

Hey good idea, might have to do just that. 

He looks good, but why use a lighter shade of blue than most Ultramarines? Is it meant to be faded, due to wear and tear encountered during an extended campaign? From another time period (compare the blue-gray color M41 Space Wolves wear, the battleship-gray their M31 predecessors wore)?

I think that is the light source I was using for the picture. I am having a bit of trouble with taking the picture atm. For instance the edge highlights seem a lot more subtle IRL but seem to posses a very high contrast in the picture. Its the same for the blue although it is a tad lighter, I just like that look. The vast majority of the model is UM blue with Lothern Blue being used where the light would hit the armour. I am trying to get hold of two light sources etc to hopefully get a truer picture.

Edited by Subtleknife

• 2 weeks later...

Well properly finished my first model in about 12ish years. Happy with the scheme time to build an army out of them. Found the whole process quite relaxing, rest of the squad will be come in due course. C + C are welcome and thanks for the input so far. 

3FdvpDX.jpg

9ehK6aG.jpg

XrRkmsC.jpg

One thing I need some help on is the photography side. I am in the process of making a DIY light box,any other tips for angles etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, got the edge highlight done on three more marines and done the shading for the rest of their bits (heads, other arms etc). My snail pace means progress is relatively slow. I am quite happy with how the highlights have turned out. Still not happy with the photo, the surface they are against in bright white, I assume I need more light. Again C and C are welcome.

4BCuseH.jpg?1

Edited by Subtleknife