Painting Rhino Chassis

Marshal Wolfhart

Greetings brothers!

I am currently working on my Razorback for the Knightfall event, it's the first time i get around to actually painting a Rhino chassis. So far i went for the typical white in the recesses across the tracks' armor and then decided to add a bit of red to the loader's hatch on top. That made me want more red on the plain sides, now i'm thinking about the armor on the smokestacks. Also i want to paint the doors in my Marshal's colors (yellow/red/yellow diagonal bands), do you think it'll get too much? Maybe red doors and add the marshal's colors to extra bits, like kite hields?

As a search didn't bring up any results, what do you think of making this thread a "database" for the different approaches we all took to our rhino chassis? Did you vary within your respective crusades or are all vehicles the same pattern? Let me taste your armories' ZEAL!

It's a good question you ask, but at the end of the day you need to arrive at a "look" for your crusade that you will be comfortable with.

I think as long as the dominant color can be associated with the Templars (e.g. Black, Red, White, Gold), then you're in pretty good shape. You wouldn't want to put too many colors on the chassis so that the overall impression comes off as fractured...unless you are fielding the "Fractured Crusade". :)

That being said, I would check with Brother Christof, Krikey, Firepower and OneTrueZon's threads for different styles and approaches to vehicles. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

In my case, I stayed with a basic black, but added enough other items to break it up a little.

gallery_15184_7227_66481.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_461456.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_460146.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_68002.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_603085.jpg

I'm not sure if mine are still in my thread. My early work is all on photobucket and I can't be bothered to move the pics elsewhere. But all my vehicles look alike, and I think the LRC and Vindies are still there, so that should do if you want to poach ideas. Edited by Firepower

@Kisada: Sweet looking models. I really like how they turned out.

@MW: So looking at Kisada's models, you can see that it's easy to bling things up and if you do it wisely as he did, you get a lot of variety in the look of your vehicles, but it's still very clear that they belong to the Black Templars.

This is exactly what i was hoping for, also shows that "plain standard" with the white in teh recesses and a little bling all around doesn't look too dull. Especially love the bit of white on that Predator turret, don't be surprised if that appearson mine :P I'd say keep em coming, i find this helpful :D

It can add some nice detail, though for some reason when I tried using it a couple of weeks ago, the super glue refused to adhere to the stuff.  It just popped right off.  Ended up having to use a different brand and even then one good knock sent a piece flying off the model.

If i'm not mistaken you used the FW brass markings there, FP, would you recommend those? I fancy a smaller order in the not too distant future and am yet undecided as i find the price a bit steep and am yet unsure how they turn out...

I like how they look and think they are a worthwhile acquisition. I haven't had the issues that FP has, but you do have to be aware that dissimilar materials may not always stick.

Again, I haven't had that issue and I've glued mine to resin and plastic.

I found the real issue for me was how to paint them. There's e tremendous amount of detail on some of the  <insert correct word>. To keep me moving on a project, I settled on a effect that makes the <insert correct word> look like honor markings. Basically I painted them a silver and then used a brown wash (Army Painter Strong Tone) to bring out the detail. Some of our brethren (e.g. Roujakis and Reinhard if I remember correctly) paint the details for additional awesomeness.