Mordians, fall in! (also, Russ Buff confirmed)

gunnyogrady

Holy crap.  :eek

Catachan LR just went next level.

The Mordians seem fine, but it's a reactive rather than proactive set of Abilities and that isn't optimal IMO.  The fact that their models are ridiculously hard to get at this point is annoying, too.  Not saying they're BAD, but I prefer aggressive rather than defensive strategies (yes, even by Guard standards).

Agreed on The Catachan LR.

I like the doctrine very fitting. Ld 8 (if sarge around) you're in SM country there, stick a commissar nearby and your opponent is going to have wipe you out, as breaking ain't going to happen. The extra help on overwatch is welcome, might make opponents think twice.

I wouldn't get hung up on GW not releasing specific models for each regiment. Without sounding harsh, doesn't say your models must be the specific "regiment"models to use the doctrine. Half my army is built around plastic Cadian models (granted I do also have Mordian models too) I'll be using the Mordian doctrine, as it fits my fluff.

We might want to curb our enthusiasm with the Form Firing Squads. They imply this is a unique vet thing. So whether that’s a communications blunder or bacon to encourage veteran squad use we’ll need to wait and see.

It is the Mordian special order. it is mentioned alongside veterans because being able to basically snipe with four plasma is amazing application.

AMFocus_Mordian_Boxout4kdb-500x57.jpg

Says Mordian.

LR Conquerors (with Catachan regiment) and Annihilators are going to be brutal with double tap.  If you thought a quad las Pred was good, well, the Annihilator is now even better, albeit slightly less accurate.

Unfortunately neither of those variants would benefit from the updated rule for grinding advance as it stands at the moment . As it specifically mentions the codex LRBT turret options. Hopefully FW will issue an FAQ to remedy this.

I like the fluff of the rules. I also surprisingly like the restriction to the buff requiring them to be lined up.

I am a little bit disappointed though that the buff seem somewhat defensive in nature. Although the order is brutal! Unfortunately as other have pointed out there was never a metal plasma gunner ... I guess this gives me more reason to run a couple of Victoria Minature Van Dieman plasma veterans. ;)

Glad to see the buff to the LRs! Will certainly help the LBRT and vanquishers! Hopefully the Baneblades dont miss out either ...

Also with their buffs I can play my punisher, demolisher and plasmacutioner more aggressively! :D

We might want to curb our enthusiasm with the Form Firing Squads. They imply this is a unique vet thing. So whether that’s a communications blunder or bacon to encourage veteran squad use we’ll need to wait and see.

It is the Mordian special order. it is mentioned alongside veterans because being able to basically snipe with four plasma is amazing application.AMFocus_Mordian_Boxout4kdb-500x57.jpg

Says Mordian.

The part right above it says.

Veteran are a key component in any Astra Militarum list, thanks to a versatile range of equipment and a great Ballistic Skill. In a Mordian list, plasma gun veterans are going to be essential thanks to their unique order, Form Firing Squad!

The question is how “unique” is the unique order. Edited by Guardsman Bob

It is the Mordian special order. it is mentioned alongside veterans because being able to basically snipe with four plasma is amazing application.AMFocus_Mordian_Boxout4kdb-500x57.jpg

Says Mordian.

Veteran are a key component in any Astra Militarum list, thanks to a versatile range of equipment and a great Ballistic Skill. In a Mordian list, plasma gun veterans are going to be essential thanks to their unique order, Form Firing Squad!

The question is how “unique” is the unique order.

It specifically mentions them in a Mordian list, and the Order says Mordian to the left. The Order doesn't specify anything that would make it work differently than any other order. I think you're imagining a level of complexity or wording confusion that isn't there. It seems rather obvious that Form Firing Squad is a Mordian-only Order- not a Mordian Veteran Squad Order or a Veteran Squad only Order, but a Mordian Order.

Says Mordian.

It specifically mentions them in a Mordian list, and the Order says Mordian to the left. The Order doesn't specify anything that would make it work differently than any other order. I think you're imagining a level of complexity or wording confusion that isn't there. It seems rather obvious that Form Firing Squad is a Mordian-only Order- not a Mordian Veteran Squad Order or a Veteran Squad only Order, but a Mordian Order.
You are making assumptions on limited information.

Aside if army specific orders did exist then why didn’t they just call it that instead of some convoluted statement about Vets? I’m not trying to assert how the order works, just warning people against jumping to conclusions.

Edited by Guardsman Bob

Says Mordian.

Aside if army specific orders did exist then why didn’t they just call it that instead of some convoluted statement about Vets? I’m not trying to assert how the rule work, just warning people against jumping to conclusions.

The statement is not convoluted in the slightest. Sentence one states what they are good for: Special weapons and good BS. Sentence two points out that a group of plasma vets, since plasma guns are rapid fire, benefit from the Mordian Order. 

It is not complex or confusing in the slightest.

Says Mordian.

Aside if army specific orders did exist then why didn’t they just call it that instead of some convoluted statement about Vets? I’m not trying to assert how the rule work, just warning people against jumping to conclusions.

The statement is not convoluted in the slightest. Sentence one states what they are good for: Special weapons and good BS. Sentence two points out that a group of plasma vets, since plasma guns are rapid fire, benefit from the Mordian Order. 

Again assumptions and conjecture.

The codex is on the way. Considering I have 100+ Mordians my hope is the Form Firing Squads is universal but I’m not going to make any bets on a marketing blurb.

I mean, you can be as cautious as you desire to be. It is a Mordian Order, full stop. Every one of the 8 Regiments is getting their own unique Order. Nothing about this Order stands out as functionally different from any other Order. I do not understand the confusion, but more power to you for being cautious.

Aw common Duz I thought you'd be excited for the Mordians :( . I know I'm excited to use there rules for Praetorians

Krash

Oh don't get me wrong I am extremely excited for the extra flavour and rules! I've been thinking all day how I can use them to my advantage. How I plan to model a Mordian-esque plasma gunner team and even considering movement trays! :D

It does add a very Stoic feel to them! Leadership buffs are very useful this edition when there are so many negative modifiers floating around!

I guess my interpretation of them they were more inline with laying down large volleys of accurate lasgun fire. Which would have resulted in different special rules. In other words I was hoping for an excuse to use my troops more aggressively than defensively.

As for the discussion of whether or not the order is for all Mordians or just Mordian veterans. I personally think it would be very odd for the order to specificy a specific unit (and a single one at that), particularly when they seem to have provided the rule in its entirety.

Either way lets please keep the discussion on the matter civil. We will know the actual rule next week.

Edited by duz_

Aw common Duz I thought you'd be excited for the Mordians :sad.: . I know I'm excited to use there rules for Praetorians

Krash

I guess my interpretation of them they were more inline with laying down large volleys of accurate lasgun fire. Which would have resulted in different special rules. In other words I was hoping for an excuse to use my troops more aggressively than defensively.

Well, I guess you could look at it as the defensive buffs allowing you to play your Mordians more aggressively. You can spread out a little, no need to huddle around the commissar. And your nasty overwatch allows you to get right in the enemy's face and  dare him to charge you. Combine that with enhanced rapidfire weapons, which benefit from closing in, and you can play your Mordians pretty aggressively!

Says Mordian.

Again assumptions and conjecture.

The codex is on the way. Considering I have 100+ Mordians my hope is the Form Firing Squads is universal but I’m not going to make any bets on a marketing blurb.

...That's not a marketing blurb. Those colored sections in that kind of font are straight from the codex, cropped for the page.