Hello new BA player

happyslugger

I just wanted to say hello to the group (relatively new to forum).

I am about to complete my death guard collection and have started work on my second army...the Blood Angels.  I played 40k back in school (circa 1994) and always loved the look of the blood angels.  As death guard are slow they also give me an army that can be played very differently and I want to use a lot of fast troops/options....jump packs and such.

So my list of models looks as follows (only the 10 death company, libby and dreadnought are built currently and being painted in sections).

2 x 5 Intercessors

1 x 5 Hellblasters

1 x 3 Inceptors

1 x Primaris Capt in G Armour

2 x Primaris Lt's

1 x Primaris Ancient

15 death company.  (I have modelled 10 so far as: 2 hammers, two fists, two with power swords and the rest with chain swords.  I put a selection of pistols on them, giving me options to switch between flamer, bolt, plasma and I think I even stuck an inferno pistol on a fist guy (OMG).  The last 5 will probably be 1 x Hammer and the other 4 bolt pistol and chain sword).

1 x death company dreadnought with melta/flamer.

1 x 4 Sanguinary Guard (not decided on loadout yet - any ideas?).

1 x Sanguinary ancient.

1 x Jump pack chaplin

1 x Sanguinary Priest with jump pack

1 x Librarian with jump pack.

I started playing years ago as chaos themed around death guard/nurgle and I am now replacing my death guard models with the new ones.  Should I go and buy older marine models now, or do I buy into the whole Primaris line in case older models/kits are replaced?  I really like the look of thunder hammer and storm shield terminators and vanguard vets - but is it worth buying these if they are going to be replaced?

I play games against my son (ultramarines), so nothing really competitive but what else should I consider adding to the list?  

Any advice welcome

I think it would be okay to purchase the older models. I still have a love for them, and many of the current kits are still really fantastic.

It's your hobby, so as always do what you feel is best. I would recommend some bolters instead of bolt pistols splashed into your squads of DC since main hand off hand don't matter any more. Do you and your son play Power Level? If so then you're good on the way you have kitted your DC. Not much can survive a round of assault with that squad!

I think investing in some tactical marines or devastators would be okay as they have a bit of versatility the primaris don't have.

What does the son army have, if it to be mainly for games against him. Can't give proper advice otherwise. Normaly something that does different stuff would be nice, but if it would end up dominating the whole game it wouldn't be very fun.

He has a fair amount to be fair (well for a 9 year old).

He has 3 x 10 tactical squads with mixed plasma, melta, flamer and grav.

2 x Intersessors (5)

1 x Hellblaster (5)

1 x Inceptor (3)

1 x Primaris Capt in Gravis

1 x Primaris Ancient

2 x Primaris Lts

1 x apothacary

1 x Scout squad with 4 sniper and 1 Missile launcher (5)

1 x devestator squad with missile and Lascannon (5)

1 x Terminators with standard set up

3 x bike with plasma

1 x attack bike with melta

1 x Chaplin

1 x Cheif Lib Tigurius

1 x Captain in Terminator armour

2 x Venerable dreadnoughts (lascannon + fist and assault cannon +fist)

1 x normal dreadnought with lascannon and fist

1 x Ironclad with bells and whistles

1 x redemptor dreadnought with gattlin cannons

2 x rhino

1 x landraider cruisader

1 x repulsor with G.Cannons

1 x lascannon pred

2 x drop pods

1 x Cypher and 5 melta fallen

1 x Grand Master voldus

1 x Grey knights terminators (5)

1 x Imperial knight Paladin (rapid fire BC, rocket pod, melta and chain sword)

1 x really annoying Rowboat Girlyman

I think that's about it

He dislikes hand to hand combat and tends to shoot me to death (re-rolling everything usually).

Edited by happyslugger

I think it would be okay to purchase the older models. I still have a love for them, and many of the current kits are still really fantastic.

It's your hobby, so as always do what you feel is best. I would recommend some bolters instead of bolt pistols splashed into your squads of DC since main hand off hand don't matter any more. Do you and your son play Power Level? If so then you're good on the way you have kitted your DC. Not much can survive a round of assault with that squad!

I think investing in some tactical marines or devastators would be okay as they have a bit of versatility the primaris don't have.

I was looking at:

Start collecting kit for the Baal Predator and the troops that come with it.  I could make 2 x 5 man squads (one flamer and one heavy bolter or something).

I also love the thunder hammer terminators and vanguard vets...they could be fun.  My death guard army doesn't have these options you see (it does have mortarian though and he wrecks face lol).

I have several Assault TDAs. The OIF from 7th is still a viable tactic (if more expensive). The 2 wounds really help as well.

The Start Collecting box is a good deal with loads of options. I think it would be a good investment for your army.

If you're wanting to gonfast, the Baal and rhino chassis are great investments.

The above list is what he has not me. I have the BA units in the first post only.

He not interested in painting them but he loves playing the game.

I don't mind painting them, keeps me busy but I'm not an amazing painter.

I will grab a BA start collecting set next I think.

Sounds like fun to have a gamer buddy in the house all the time!  I would not worry about them replacing regular space marines anytime soon.  For your casuals I would always go with the models that you think look/feel best so grab some hammernators and give your son something tough to shoot at.  Get the models you have made up as well.  So satisfying (for me) to get some glue on my fingers and bring a tiny soldier to life.  Oh and paint!  I suggest grabbing a cheap primer in the main colors of your armies.  It is surprising how much more immersion even 1 color can give to the game.  Red ones go faster!  Have fun and don't let your son beat you every time:wink: