Who has gold armor?

durdle-durdle

I know it's heretical, but I can't stand painting THAT many gold things.

Understandable. Gold can become too much very quickly and is best used in small amounts imo. Hence why I could never own a Custodes army without altering the color scheme heavily.

The golden armor often indicates it being mastercrafted for us (doesn't mean mastercrafted armor can't look differently tho).

So give your captain a golden armor if you want to make him look extra special basically.

I see, so it doesn’t actually indicate anything about the rank. As an aside, any lieutenant or captain would have a gold helmet, right?

The golden armor often indicates it being mastercrafted for us (doesn't mean mastercrafted armor can't look differently tho).

So give your captain a golden armor if you want to make him look extra special basically.

I see, so it doesn’t actually indicate anything about the rank. As an aside, any lieutenant or captain would have a gold helmet, right?

All veterans would be wearing golden helmets iirc.

All veterans would be wearing golden helmets iirc.

If only it were that simple.

Obviously this is a question of personal preference, but it's worth noting that in the images we have, Terminators don't use gold helmets - nor do Veteran Sergeants in regular squads. I haven't ever seen a Captain with a golden helmet in any official source. At the same time, we are told that Veterans use gold helmets, so using them is hardly going to cause an outcry.

Out of curiosity, do we have any kind of official fluff definition of what classifies a Space Marine as a Veteran?

A marine may be made a veteran for his actions, over and above that already expected of him as a marine, be it achievement in combat, tactical mastery, or something else. this is not necessarily linked to age (a particularly skilled 'young' assault marine might be raised to Veterancy in the First Company due to outstanding close combat acts for example) but older marines are more likely to have the necessary skill and practice to stand out amongst their peers and have more opportunity to display their capabilities. There is no hard and fast 'do X, become a Veteran' however, and Veterancy (membership of the First Company) is not necessarily equal to veterancy (experience/length of service).

A Veteran in the fluff would be 1st Company, or have served in the First, then maybe returned to another company as a senior officer (such as a squad sergeant if he had that skill set or to assist in the battlefield training of newer recruits for example) while a veteran (such as a company veteran) might not have served in the First or have excelled enough for that position but has become a solid experienced marine within his own company and is not necessarily thought of as a promotion prospect for elevation to the First. Not all marines will want that, not all will merit it, and for some they might want and possibly even merit it but their best use might be to remain within their existing company as a lynchpin for their captain to rely upon in planning.

I think Tycho before his maiming was seen as a rising star. One of those once in a generation if your lucky people. I believe he was looked at as a possible replacement for Dante. Then came his maiming.

So I assumed he did something stupendously awesome and was rewarded with the golden artificer armour, so most captains would have red armour but you could say your captain did something suitably heroic and was rewarded with golden artificer armour,