Squad Size in 8th

Rammael

Hey All

I wanted to hear people's feedback on what size squads they run in 8th. Back in 7th I ran MSU everything but does not seem to be effective now with points increase.

I am contemplating running 7/8 man squads or do u think It would be better to go full 10 man.

Terminators I think are the only ex option and perhaps sanguinary guard. But my assault marines and death company just die. Good to hear your thoughts.

For me it depends on the unit. Most squads with a customisable Sergeant when extra bodies are just basic (like Tac squads) I'm keeping 5-man, as Combi+Special or Combi+Heavy with 3 ablative wounds feels like a good mix. The unit won't last as long as the full 10, sure, but I can run more of those small units and they'll be less affected by morale.

When it comes to a unit like DC where you can equip any model the way you want there's a good case for going larger, as you can use any ratio of upgrades to basic bodies you want.

Our auras are the main factor. If you're running someone like Lemartes or Astorath you want a larger number of DC for them to buff. Same with SG if you run them with the Sanguinor, and so on. I'd say units receiving key character support bigger, independent units smaller.

Terminators for me are an interesting option as I don't like the fixed sword on the Serg. If I was going to run 10 of them I'd be tempted to go for the full 10 split in two units to get the extra Fist, rather than 2 separate 5-man squads each with a Sergeant.

Edited by Thoridon

does it sit with dual special in a razorback? its 5 of them. Is it chaff ? 10-20+. support and sucide squads work as msu too, doubled or trippled of course. not much changed when compared to 7th. Fewer bikes. Tacs got second special. And charging/shoting without scater means soup lists are better then non soup, unless you happen to play IG.

I prefer min size but I am falling away from aura spam that seems to be our thang right now.  Our units are expensive for what they do and multiplied over 2000 points that leaves us struggling.  The fact is that in 8th the game is deadly and elite units are going to be focused down.  The issue here might be with pricey elite one wound models.

I prefer min size but I am falling away from aura spam that seems to be our thang right now.  Our units are expensive for what they do and multiplied over 2000 points that leaves us struggling.  The fact is that in 8th the game is deadly and elite units are going to be focused down.  The issue here might be with pricey elite one wound models.

It's less deadly than 7th to be honest. We just lost most of our alpha strike capabilities without Tactical Flamer drops and Assault Melta drops so we can't deal with stuff before it hurts us.

It's less deadly than 7th to be honest. We just lost most of our alpha strike capabilities without Tactical Flamer drops and Assault Melta drops so we can't deal with stuff before it hurts us.

Our Assault Melta shots are more reliable now than they've ever been....

Our Assault Melta shots are more reliable now than they've ever been....

Without Droppod, yes. However Droppods used to be ridiculously cheap and were able to bring them into melta range actually.

That is not true. Multi shot spamed weapons are still king, and in 8th [unlike 7th] you no longer get cover for non infantry and the armor of marine infantry got a lot worse, while at the same time they lost free point adventage they had over other armies.

Tough call. The new battleshock mechanics make large squads risky, even with ATKNF. If you lose 5 men from a 10-man squad, there is a good chance you will lose more in Battleshock.

If you have 2 5-man squads then you opponent can wipe out one but leave the other unscathed or do 2-3 on each which will likely not cause battleshock. I think MSU is generally safer although I am sure there are cases where larger squads are justified.