Question re: Index wargear options and Codex characters

micahwc

Question

In the Index a Company Commander can take a power maul, so I modeled power mauls on most of my characters before the Codex came out. Now that the Codex is out the power maul isn't an option for Company Commanders or Platoon Commanders any more. My assumption is that the power maul is now an illegal choice and I have to either remodel my characters with power swords/power fists, or "counts as" them as power swords/power fists.

Is this a correct understanding of the rules?

Edit: Second question: Would any of you have problems with me counting the mauls as Power Fists?

Edited by micahwc

In the codex, Infantry squads (like all other squads with the option to take power weapons) simply allow you to choose a weapon for your sergeant from the Melee Weapons list, which has 2 weapons: power swords and power fists.

So, only way to get a power maul or axe on anyone in the codex is through the index... if such is permitted.

Incidentally, I feel the original posters' pain - I have several weapons options (an old commissar that comes with an axe, demo charges in my special weapons squads, converted roughriders) which are no longer legal if one can only choose from the codex.

Yeah, the only Infantry Squad can bring power mauls and axes since the rest don't have it on their datasheet, barring of course an FAQ.

Do Infantry Squads say they can take them? Because there's no points cost in the book for them.

It's on the Index datasheet. The "Can Take From Index" rule says that if an older version of the datasheet has the weapon option, you can take it. Unfortunately for Platoon Commanders and Company Commanders, they do not have Power Mauls or Axes listed on their Index datasheet, however Infantry squads do.

Because company commanders and platoon commanders don't have power mauls or axes on their datasheet. Infantry Squads do. So despite the fact you could take them in the index, because they are not on the datasheet you can't bring it forward using GWs Index Exception rule.