8th Ed, Infiltrators or Ruststalkers...

I really like the look of the claw/razor shivs, but the infiltrators look a more ubiquitous unit on the tabletop - a bit more choice with them other than one-trick ponies. (I miss not having the grenades on shivs.)

I like the shivs though. They look tremendous.

Hey, I have a squad of 5 bodies and I'm about to decide on what they'll be... My initial thought is to do Infiltrators with

Taser goads and flechette blasters... Is this a safe option to go?, I'm not a tourney player so no drama if it's not super optimal...

Cheers, Mithril

Tourney player are not... I think GW fell flat on the Russtalkers. It's too bad.... that's typically the sort of thing GW fixes to boost sales/use of a unit that was previously unpopular.

I always go with Infiltrators... any size.

Infiltrators all day long !

1. You are damn slow, so infiltrate helps A LOT

2. CC Doctrina stratagem works pretty good with Infiltrators, but there is non that realy helps the Stalkers

3. Stalkers won't hurt anything without rolling 6es. Infiltrators have better S, more attacks thanks to taser rule and can shoot

4. All the Stalkers can do is fish for 6es... every other wound is just like a boring Bolter shell with S4 and no AP... E-Priests are way better even without rolling tons of 6es

I like the Stalker models and I field them from time to time, but they never realy did something. Only good thing is the price.

Infiltrators all day long !

1. You are damn slow, so infiltrate helps A LOT

2. CC Doctrina stratagem works pretty good with Infiltrators, but there is non that realy helps the Stalkers

3. Stalkers won't hurt anything without rolling 6es. Infiltrators have better S, more attacks thanks to taser rule and can shoot

4. All the Stalkers can do is fish for 6es... every other wound is just like a boring Bolter shell with S4 and no AP... E-Priests are way better even without rolling tons of 6es

I like the Stalker models and I field them from time to time, but they never realy did something. Only good thing is the price.

I can attest to this from my single data point today!

I really like my ruststalkers, but to be especially useful, they really look like they need to be fishing for 6s. (Which I felt they did admirably - I had 2 Hellbrutes bearing down on me, and I got one down to 1 wound largely due to the work of the Ruststalkers' knocking six shades of electrostatic out of the thing. Unfortunately it at them and gain a lot of wounds back.)

As such, it feels like ruststalkers might, more than anything, be 'big game hunters', almost like point defence weapons. Giant baddie bearing down on you? Launch ruststalkers at them.

But it feels a lot less guaranteed, and heavily reliant on luck; where I can imagine the infiltrators almost certainly have a bigger psychological threat profile, letting even your choice of where they go have a big impact on the game, even if they individually don't do anything in particular.