Against the Xenos threat, specifically, Eldar

brother_b

I haven't played them since probably 1st edition? A time when space marines were strong, but not that tough, and the shuriken catapult was a thing to fear!

I'll be gaming against Eldar this week. I may see some codex action, using leaked sources, I'm not sure. At the minimum I'll just have to face their index.

Anyway, no ideas about what makes them tick. I'm thinking they're fast, and skilled. Other than that, no clue.

I'll probably bring 2 X laz razorbacks with Assault marines/DC, coupled with scouts and devastators and some jump marines/librarians.

I've considered taking an Ordo Xenos inquisitor for fun as well.

1st?  wow! well They are T3.  That means Assault Cannon wound em on 2's.  If they have the codex you will be fighting uphill.  They are strong again in good hands and eldar do seem to attract decent generals.  Without knowing what the opponent is bringing the nature of what you will face will change drastically so there is no direct advice (outside of Str6 being good) that I have to give.  

Wraithguard/knight/lords?  Lascannon. Wraith lists are just high T multiwound model armies.  Don't get sucked in by Autocannons seeming OK on paper.  You want real anti tank weapons to deal with this stuff.

Aspect warrior spam? Bolters/Ass cannon. Pick on the dainty range of most aspects by keeping them at arms length but be aware of fast move stratagems that may make this hard.

Jetbikes?  Long range weapons.  No point in chasing them around.

Healthy mix?  Healthy mix

Watch out for Avatars rising from the dead.  Most Eldar lists suffer from a severe lack of staying power so get rid of the targets that you can when you can to whittle away at the effectiveness of the pointy eared xenos.  Watch out for (shoot at range) Banshees which specialize in killing armored marines in melee.  

GOOD LUCK!

Eldar psychic powers are pretty strong and they have several flavours of caster available. A Librarian or two to Deny would be good, our own powers are pretty nice so it is not much of a hindrance.

Blood Boil can be useful for sniping units that aren't the closest. It's a more effective against T3 units. 

I don't know what the point total will be but I plan on taking 1 or 2 jump pack librarians, coupled with Greyfax as a separate detachment. I will have lots of scouts, including newly finished missile launcher scout for the snipers and bolter unit with heavy bolter. I'll have my dev squad, and possibly a 2nd, and finally got to finishing my foot captain. He'll be riding along with someone in a razorback.

Deny the witch, boil the witch! Purge the unclean!

Well, that was an odd battle. It was 70 PL. He had 5 giant wraiths and two bonesingers. One of the wraiths was the wraith knight, the other 4 were the medium sized ones. It was not what I was expecting, so I don't feel I faced a real eldar list yet. Victory to the Blood Angels with minimal losses. 

Well, that was an odd battle. It was 70 PL. He had 5 giant wraiths and two bonesingers. One of the wraiths was the wraith knight, the other 4 were the medium sized ones. It was not what I was expecting, so I don't feel I faced a real eldar list yet. Victory to the Blood Angels with minimal losses.

A curious army to face. Were they Bonesingers or Spiritseers? If they were Bonesingers, it sounds like he had an illegal army since they are Elites rather than HQs. The Wraithknight is overpriced by at least 100 points and Wraithlords are only middling so it sounds like his army selection did not help him much.

Well done on a victory with minimal casualties though.

A curious army to face. Were they Bonesingers or Spiritseers? If they were Bonesingers, it sounds like he had an illegal army since they are Elites rather than HQs. The Wraithknight is overpriced by at least 100 points and Wraithlords are only middling so it sounds like his army selection did not help him much.

Well done on a victory with minimal casualties though.

Yes definitely bonesingers. I'm not sure what he was using, maybe just the elite section. I think he wanted to try them out. The bonesingers did heal his wraiths, but under weight of fire it didn't do much at all. Also, I had 10 scouts and tried a callidus assassin for fun (lost me a CP but I wanted her on the table). His bonesingers didn't live past turn two.

Strange, didn't he hide them behind the wraithlords? If he did, you can't shoot them unless they are the closest models.

Well done on the win, though. Eldar are generally strong, and can be tough to fight.

He did, but the snipers and assassin were able to attack. He actually survived the first round of combat with the Callidus, breaking from combat. Unfortunately for the bonesinger the snipers finished the job.