Let Them Underestimate Us - A R&H Plog

Khornestar

This is my Renegades & Heretics project log.

The army was originally conceived as a 30k Militia/Cult army, but I've just about abandoned 30k and really want to use my models to play 8th edition 40k.

The army will be run using loyalist rules until (if ever) FW releases a good R&H codex or IA book.

I'm reserving the rest of this OP for the army's background, organization, and notable accomplishments/conflicts.

Edited by Juggernut

I finally built and primed (primered?) my Macharius Vulcan. I wish I'd taken better care of the pieces over the years, because certain bits of track have broken off. I also managed to obliterate the twin heavy stubber, which I rebuilt using some plastic and copper rod (thick and thin sections, respectively). I think it works well enough. Certain parts have gaps between parts, but I just don't care any more. I wanted to build it and use it ASAP.

I've magnetized the sponson guns, so 2 HS, 2 HB, and 2 HF.

Here it is:

CzrRyhVh.jpg

rkLcltah.jpg

aBdianWh.jpg

Posted · Hidden by Grotsmasha, November 1, 2017 - Off Topic
Hidden by Grotsmasha, November 1, 2017 - Off Topic
Please stop editing the title of my post. There are far more egregious errors in both grammar and spelling rampant on this forum. Unless you’re going to start policing them all, leave mine alone.
I like the stubbers, reminds me of naval guns, which fits the way I’ve always envisioned 40k guard tanks to operate as well! ( similar to the tactics utilised by the British army in early WWII, who used naval tactics with their armour). That and the macharius itself being a lovely model! I look forward to seeing her painted up!

I love them too. I love the whole kit, it looks incredible and was surprisingly easy to build. If only the other large tanks were as “points efficient” as their smaller cousins. I mostly don’t care, but I’d probably buy more if that were th case.

At any rate, I’m thinking of using this paint scheme on my vehicles, or as close as I can get to reproducing it:

lEW80ZT.jpg

I do miss the days of seeing lovingly converted R&H armies back in 4E/5E, and I have always had a soft spot for the Vraks renegade figures (I even have a lonely squad just 'cos!).

I'm therefore very much looking forward to this, and I think that the colours you've chosen so far are very promising. :)

Thanks, Major. 

I'm thinking Mournfang Brown for the darker stripes, and something like Mephiston Red mixed with a flesh tone for the lighter color? Not exactly sure what to use, to be honest.

I'm glad to be that evil influence pushing you to do what you know is the right choice. The only choice. And also, my humblest thanks for your compliment.

I think this army embodies the truest sense of being a renegade in that I'm using "stolen" Imperial resources to run a chaos army. Of course, when I do so, I can't run real chaos detachments, but I think the general consensus is that an 8th ed IG army doesn't need allies to be potent. 

I'm thinking Mournfang Brown for the darker stripes, and something like Mephiston Red mixed with a flesh tone for the lighter color? Not exactly sure what to use, to be honest.

Hmm, I'd add a little flesh to both the brown and the red, to help give it that dusty slightly pinkish look of the artwork.

In general, I find that it's better to go lighter rather than darker if you're unsure; you can always glaze it with thin washes to get a stronger/darker colour later if it ends up too light, and it'll do your some of your shading for you as a bonus. ;)

I think this army embodies the truest sense of being a renegade in that I'm using "stolen" Imperial resources to run a chaos army. Of course, when I do so, I can't run real chaos detachments, but I think the general consensus is that an 8th ed IG army doesn't need allies to be potent. 

I've seen lots of R&H armies run using the old 4E/5E IG codexes, and they managed fine in terms of counts-as.

If anything, what with most choices and build styles being viable in the 8E Guard codex now, that actually gives you more choice than ever before - even units like Crusaders and Priests suddenly become interesting and can take on a sinister bent when you consider what their Chaos alternatives could be!

Thanks! I originally cut the barrels down to run them as Medusas in 30k and the muzzle brakes (you taught me a new term :P) seemed like a cool idea.

They’ll still work as basilisks for sure. They’re all second hand models. One of them has track guards, and I can’t find out which kit comes with those. Looking at GW’s site, neither basilisks nor chimeras seem to have ‘em.

Any ideas?

Sweet! I’ll be sure to follow this thread. If your renegades are anything like your Khorne models, this is going to be awesome. Looking forward to the Macharius, that’s always been one of my favourite guard tanks.

The muzzle brakes on the basilisks, where are they from? They look so familiar but I can’t for the life of me place it. Or maybe they just remind me of real life ones

The muzzle brakes on the basilisks, where are they from? They look so familiar but I can’t for the life of me place it. Or maybe they just remind me of real life ones

Leman Russ Eradicator muzzles. ;)

Ah there it is! Thanks Major, your limitless knowledge astounds me sometimes brother ;)

• 3 months later...