5 man assault squad

Jakeball74

Expect a 5 man squad to go away very quickly, especially against something like Tau. maybe deathguard will be slightly kinder as they lack the same amount of high strength firepower, but you have to equip them to make their points back pretty much immediately.

That in mind, I'd actually go for as much plasma as you can manage and overcharge. Its doubtful that the unit will survive so you may s well throw out some high strength high damage shots quickly and any casualties that you take from the overcharging will be negligible because they were gonna die anyway :). Play it right and that etheral/commander/lord of contagion/whatever could have a bit of trouble

Against T'au, Melta only if you have something to get rid of hordes of Drones or if you plan to target Devilfish/Hammerheads with it. And if you don't have enough Lascannons in your list.

It really depends on your list imo. I mainly play T'au currently and I can't think of any Assault Marine configuration I would be particularly afraid of that doesn't already get done better by a different unit if it's in the list I'm facing.

But yeah Plasma is always a safe bet. Or just keep them cheap with Bolter, Chainswords and a Power weapon.

I'd wait until the new codex is out to see what the options will cost.  For the time being, I think Company Veterans will be the better bargain. They can have the same special weapons as an assault squad and are allowed to take more of them. Additionally they don't lose the chainsword for taking a special weapon and start with an extra attack. All that for the extra meltabombs.

BTW will they be in a Rhino/Razorback or will they use jump packs?

Assault squads have suffered heavy casualties under my command, but have paid dividends. I've been running one or two 5 man jump assault units with melta guns. They've been able to seriously cripple/kill whatever I've put them against. In one game their strike destroyed a rhino containing a khorne berserker unit, basically stranding the unit far behind his own lines and keeping the zerkers out of the game for the most part.

In my last game the squads helped kill a Wraith Knight and medium sized eldar walker, and prior to that they helped destroy a Leman Russ and made it into melee combat with the enemy warlord (and won!).

Unfortunately, casualty rates have been high and their post-strike survivability is negligible.