Vanguard Veterans

Jakeball74

Last night I used two squads of 5, 1 thunder hammer/plasma, 2 plasma chainsword, and 2 double chainsword. They used deepstrike, killed the death Guard flamer character with shooting, charged a vanilla chaos lord, hammer whiffed, swords did nothing, both squads were dead next turn from rapid firing plasma. I chalk it up to me not playing them properly but I wouldn’t go too heavy on points because they’re squishy, and plasma pistols let them do something the turn they drop.

I think the standard answer is "Vets with stormbolters and chainswords/power axes is the better option" at this point in the game. Credit goes to the threads that have come before this one, though I think predominantly the comparison has been between Sternguard and Veterans.

I like mine mixed right now, but really wanna see what the options, points, and strats look like in the new codex.

I feel they shine at plasma pistol fire on the drop and then follow on CQC in later turns.

VV Sgts - Dual LC is a great weapon to consider here. Especially because I also bring a dual LC Capt so am re-rolling hit and wound.

Power Axes are great, but I run powerswords for the AP with a nearby Sanguinary Priest and prev mentioned Capt when I bring these guys mostly.

Rest of squad usually mixed something like: 

Plasma pistol & Plasma pistol gunslinger. (don't overheat this one and use to help tail to buff bubbles)

A dude carrying SS and chainsword comes in handy pretty often to soak stuff (also to tail back to character bubbles pretty commonly early on in a fight).

Filled out to taste with MOAR plasma pistol and swords.

Gotta have the jump packs obviously to pew pew with the plasma pistols effectively and also the fire discipline to not overheat every shot =).

It is going to be very interesting to see how VV and Company Veterans (and Sanguinary Guard) shake out in the codex for sure.