Codex This Year

Cypher 102

In regards to Primaris marines in the chapter, you guys do realize that the current timeline takes place about 150 years after the Indomitus Crusade, right? Plenty of time for some Primaris marines to work their way up into the Inner Circle.

As far as the Lion is concerned, a model still could be coming. They may be delaying its release until the last part of December. (You know, right around Christmas time?) That puts its release nearly two months away, and helps GW keep things under wraps. I think they have learned by now that all of the Primarchs will sell well. People will wait for the Lion until around the first of the year.

In regards to Primaris marines in the chapter, you guys do realize that the current timeline takes place about 150 years after the Indomitus Crusade, right? Plenty of time for some Primaris marines to work their way up into the Inner Circle.

As far as the Lion is concerned, a model still could be coming. They may be delaying its release until the last part of December. (You know, right around Christmas time?) That puts its release nearly two months away, and helps GW keep things under wraps. I think they have learned by now that all of the Primarchs will sell well. People will wait for the Lion until around the first of the year.

It's quite obvious that a model for Jonson is "still coming". He's 100% still alive and in probably the best shape of all the primarchs in terms of known physical health. That has never been debated.

How he would react to a swarm of marines created post-Emperor holding high positions in his legion is another matter. 

It's quite obvious that a model for Jonson is "still coming". He's 100% still alive and in probably the best shape of all the primarchs in terms of known physical health. That has never been debated.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We know we'll get a HH Lion model, but a 40k one is far from a guarantee.

His physical health and suitability to return aren't as important as his potential sales and how they can fit him into the new lore. Every single one of the remaining loyal primarchs could theoretically come back and it wouldn't take too much lore gymnastics to do it. Indeed, Roboute was one of the less likely candidates from a lore perspective (he was slowly healing from a mortal wound in stasis as opposed to just missing), but that didn't stop him from getting a model and having the entire lore update revolve around his return.

Unfortunately I don't think the Lion is the best candidate from a sales or narrative perspective (Russ would be the real contender there) so I don't think we'll be seeing him any time soon. I can definitely see a divided Imperium narrative being built around his rejection of Roboute, and while this would be kinda cool, it's the last thing DA players need in terms of being constantly harangued as traitors. 

Basically, the upcoming DA and BA codex will answer what will happen to mono-chapter codex updates in particular:

1) How primaris marines are merged with the "codex deviant" structure. (More related to fluff, I'm curious just how "accepted" the primaris will be in those chapters, especially the secretive Dark Angels. Hopefully it'll make sense fluffwise rather than just GW saying they accept, and therefore they accept, no question asked or resolved about Fallen)

2) Whether or not specific Companies, Great Packs or Successor chapters will have their own different "chapter tactics". or will the three have only one chapter tactic each with no other differences like the Grey Knights.

3) Any additional new weapons/models to accompany new codex. Unlikely considering most of our range (DA, BA, SW) share with the Codex marines, and apart from certain characters (Azrael, Lukas, Dante who are more than 4 years old), and all three already have a lot of customization.

Although if they want to push us to use Primaris marines, PLEASE GIVE US OUR RESPECTIVE BLING!!! As it is, as a Space Wolf, I find it hard to "wolfify" the Primaris apart from shoulder pads and heads. the rest of the weaponry and "furs" look too small to fit unto Primaris bodies. As of now, we only have freaking Greco Roman bling for the primaris. 

Back to topic, what I'm saying is that, we'll know soon enough when BA and DA come out. Going to be a very red and green Christmas for you guys, while ironically, the Space Wolves will have a sad and blue winter until the Lord of Winter and War deems it the Wolftime and returns next year.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We know we'll get a HH Lion model, but a 40k one is far from a guarantee.

His physical health and suitability to return aren't as important as his potential sales and how they can fit him into the new lore. Every single one of the remaining loyal primarchs could theoretically come back and it wouldn't take too much lore gymnastics to do it. Indeed, Roboute was one of the less likely candidates from a lore perspective (he was slowly healing from a mortal wound in stasis as opposed to just missing), but that didn't stop him from getting a model and having the entire lore update revolve around his return.

Unfortunately I don't think the Lion is the best candidate from a sales or narrative perspective (Russ would be the real contender there) so I don't think we'll be seeing him any time soon. I can definitely see a divided Imperium narrative being built around his rejection of Roboute, and while this would be kinda cool, it's the last thing DA players need in terms of being constantly harangued as traitors.

Is he a primarch? Then he'll sell. Yes, they will find a way to release him. Likely not soon, but there is no way they will not release a primarch at this point.

Look at the number of views in the BnC News and Rumours section and compare BA vs. DA vs. CD; I'd say the Primarch rumour has boosted the DA views more than just their popularity, I could be wrong. (the BA being closed hasn't made too much difference, I checked back then too)

If that could ever correlate into sales things could go well for the DA.

:biggrin.:

I haven't picked up the Chaos codex, but I was told that Cypher wasn't in there, that he is only in the index.

If that is true, how would you fell about it if GW rolled Cypher into the DA codex along with the Fallen Keyword.

And built in some options to blur the line between the Fallen and the Unforgiven.

Right now if you want to play a fallen list, you are limited to a single force org, and you don't get bike or terminator units.

So it is fairly obvious which one you are facing.

I haven't picked up the Chaos codex, but I was told that Cypher wasn't in there, that he is only in the index.

If that is true, how would you fell about it if GW rolled Cypher into the DA codex along with the Fallen Keyword.

And built in some options to blur the line between the Fallen and the Unforgiven.

Right now if you want to play a fallen list, you are limited to a single force org, and you don't get bike or terminator units.

Though I do not own a chaos codex myself, I saw a note in the chaos errata for him. So guess he will be in that codex somewhere. 

And built in some options to blur the line between the Fallen and the Unforgiven.

You were told incorrectly. Cypher and the fallen are in the chaos Dex.

That's why I think these rumors of Fulgrim as the next Primarch model are silly.  Chaos already has two Primarch models, Imperium only has Guilliman.  Mortarion accompanied the Death Guard release... Emperor's Children aren't even on the slate at this time.  But Dark Angels are, and soon.  Why wouldn't they release the Lion to capitalize on that?

That's why I think these rumors of Fulgrim as the next Primarch model are silly. Chaos already has two Primarch models, Imperium only has Guilliman. Mortarion accompanied the Death Guard release... Emperor's Children aren't even on the slate at this time. But Dark Angels are, and soon. Why wouldn't they release the Lion to capitalize on that?

The da/ba book for HH is going to be released next rear, so those models are close too.

Probably not fulgrim but I bet dorn is next based on rumor engine.

If we get Fulgrim or Angron, they WILL not have a codex for the Emperor's Children or World Eaters. They are in the main Chaos Codex, so the Primarchs will be added to that. Unless of course we get a new Chaos codex outta nowhere.

I don't think we will see the Lion until Forge World release theirs first. Same goes for Dorn. I'm expecting a loyalist that has already been released, meaning Russ, Corax or Vulkan next. I'd wager Russ, unless GW wants to royally :censored: off Astartes players that don't use the vanilla book.

Now as for the imminent release of OUR codex, I think it'll go one of two ways (not counting fluff):

1. It'll be the Index+1. Includes the new Primaris stuff, some relics and warlord traits and price adjustments. A very light codex.
  2. In addition to new Primaris stuff, we get Successor rules, warlord traits and relics. Also they give us all the stuff that we are missing that we don't have our own version of (e.g. no storm talons or storm hawks because we have Nephilim and Dark Talon)

Sounds about right. The Codex will probably be an improved version of the Index.

I really am hoping for some new units, but that would be unlikely since GW is pushing Primaris Marines on us.

Makes sense for this Codex to be just the Index + Warlord Traits, Stratagems and Relics + Primaris Stuff and the lore justification for them to be an integral part of the Chapter.

That's why I think these rumors of Fulgrim as the next Primarch model are silly. Chaos already has two Primarch models, Imperium only has Guilliman. Mortarion accompanied the Death Guard release... Emperor's Children aren't even on the slate at this time. But Dark Angels are, and soon. Why wouldn't they release the Lion to capitalize on that?

The da/ba book for HH is going to be released next rear, so those models are close too.

I thought that HH era DA and BA were already released in book 6, and FW just didn't include rules for their Primarchs.  

I thought that HH era DA and BA were already released in book 6, and FW just didn't include rules for their Primarchs.

They have rules scattered around. Their official book is Angelus

I don’t know what’s worse the old way of never knowing if you were going to get a new codex until bam codex next week or this new way of telling us weeks out hey new codex soon but then nothing more for weeks.

Hehe - I know how you feel, but I wouldn't be too worried. It's less than a month now, and I think a lot of the sites who occupy themselves with 40k rumours and the like (BoLS and all the others whose names I don't remember), will soon have more for us and our brethren of blood. It's going to be my first 8th codex, even though I do have some heretic scum.

Archived