Kastelans: 1 Big or many small?

Ave Omnissiah, magi.

So, like the topic says, would I generally be better off running two squads of 2 Kastelan (each with an attendant Datasmith), or one unit of 4 (with only 1 DS).

I have them all magnetized, so I can run pure shooty or pure fisty, though I had planned on shooty. My main opponent usually runs Primarines with Bobby G, if that effects your calculus at all.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hard to be specific without seeing the rest of your list but lucky for us this one is easy.

More Robots in one squad equals more mortal wound goodness with Wrath of Mars stratagem.

Really nothing more to say then that I think.

Edited by CombatVet

With every unit being able to splitfire, putting them all in one squad just seems better. Your opponent can still target them with big weapons no matter what and you get to enjoy wrath of mars as said.

Sure if they are single your opponent may waste a few shots on some here and there but the offensive potential isn't as good.

It depends I would say.

Pro bigger unit:

- If you are Mars and want to use the Wrath Stratagem then go for a big unit. The same if you want to use the Elemination Volley (which is kind of meh I think) or Stygiies / Lucius Stratagem on them.

- You have less units to deploy which means you are more likely to get turn 1.

Pro smaller unit:

- If you want to change the protocoll of a 4 man unit and you fail, you have got 4 Robots that are not in the setup you want them. If you have got 2x 2 Robots, it is unlikely to fail with both units and therefor you get half of your Robots into the mode you want them to be.

- With 2 different units it is harder to tie them up in combat.

- 2 different units are more flexible when you want to move them around.

- If the opponent manages to kill a unit, additional shots or mortal wounds that would spill over to the next Robot are just wasted, while in a bigger unit they would hit the remaining Robots.

So while the small units have more Pros than the bigger unit, the benefits of the bigger unit are way more important. I think in the end it comes down to what the rest of your list looks like and what FW you use.

I think there are more pros than cons to a slightly large squad vs two little ones.... Wrath of Mars is a pretty darn good motivator., but lately I’ve been using my Kastelans as a temptation unit for my opponents. Then the jazz hands come out of the mid field, I lay down Wrath of Mars and it’s pretty potent at a fraction of the investment.

I think there are more pros than cons to a slightly large squad vs two little ones.... Wrath of Mars is a pretty darn good motivator., but lately I’ve been using my Kastelans as a temptation unit for my opponents. Then the jazz hands come out of the mid field, I lay down Wrath of Mars and it’s pretty potent at a fraction of the investment.

By jazz hands, are you saying you take Corpuscarii over Fulgerites?

Haha Prot's shorthand is a bit unique, eh?  Yes, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Corpuscarii for Mars Dogma since they get such a massive volume of fire.  Fulgurites benefit far more from Lucius to "deep strike" them onto the field or Stygies VIII to "infiltrate" and for some ranged protection.  The key for Mars/Corpuscarii is to use a pile of them since you're going to lose a few before they get in zapping range.

One thing I like about running small units of Kastelans is the reduced impact of enemy charges, since you can use the "MSU" Kastelans to support each other as they fall back.  Alternatively, splashing a power fist robot into one of the Maniples can give you some counter-assault at a reduction in volume of fire.

Jazzhands and Discosticks, yes.

We only use the technical terms here as devout servants of the Machine god :whistling: