Modifying Overwatch

Jolemai

Page 182 makes this pretty clear cut:

Overwatch is resolved like a normal shooting attack (...) and uses all the normal rules except that a 6 is always required for a successful hit roll, irrespective of the firing model’s Ballistic Skill or any modifiers

However, my question relates to what takes priority. Do we have a situation where advanced rules > basic rules, and Codex (or in this case, Index) > BRB exists for the 8th edition?

The Harlequin spell Fog of Dreams and the Lictor ability Chameleonic Skin have the wording whereby your opponent must subtract one from their hit rolls that target the model(s) in question. Do these abilities affect Overwatch as they are advanced/Codex rules, or would we require specific permission on a special rule to allow it?

I don't see a conflict. Those special rules confer a modifier and overwatch specifically states irrespective of modifiers.

As far as a cursory glance over the rules could offer... I couldn't find any mention of the old "Codex > Advanced > Basic" ruling. Only "The Most Important Rule".

Page 182 makes this pretty clear cut:

Overwatch is resolved like a normal shooting attack (...) and uses all the normal rules except that a 6 is always required for a successful hit roll, irrespective of the firing model’s Ballistic Skill or any modifiers

However, my question relates to what takes priority. Do we have a situation where advanced rules > basic rules, and Codex (or in this case, Index) > BRB exists for the 8th edition?

The Harlequin spell Fog of Dreams and the Lictor ability Chameleonic Skin have the wording whereby your opponent must subtract one from their hit rolls that target the model(s) in question. Do these abilities affect Overwatch as they are advanced/Codex rules, or would we require specific permission on a special rule to allow it?

You require specific permission to effect Overwatch. There's a good example of this in the FAQ/Errata for the Imperial Guard Codex - the Mordian Regiment trait was fixed so that it grants the specific permission required.

‘These modifiers to hit rolls are an exception to the normal rules which do not allow modifiers when making Overwatch shots – in such cases a result of 7 is also a successful hit.’

Edited by MysticTemplar