Primaris Project - Irongills Red Scorpions

Irongills

Updating my painting process and project log with a new paint recipe to follow! I use an airbrush for base coats of grey on the power armor.

1. Prime with Vallejo Surface Primer Grey
  2. Airbrush layers of Vallejo 'Track Primer' (yes it's a paint color and not a 'primer')
  3. Recess shade of Agrax Earthshade (thinned with lahmian medium when on white)
  4. Edge highlight with Dawn Stone
  5. Seal with Satin Varnish

Other colors follow pretty reasonable lines with GW paints or Scale 75 paints used mostly. 

image4

image5

image3

image2

image1

Next steps are to go through the process above for the other 8 Intercessors and their weapons that are basecoated and then start working on edge highlighting with Dawnstone. Will Finish up with the eyes and basing! 

I don't have any Red Scorpion transfers, sadly, so I'll have to wait for those. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Been a long time, but finally got back into the swing of painting. This captain was painted mostly as a test for my new set of chosen colors. I really like how it's turning out. Needs a little bit of clean up here or there, but think I'm going in a good direction. Will have to update the top post with new army changes!

gallery_102588_13900_155493.jpg

Probably do a simple base using the GW technical stuff. Think I’ve got armeggedon dunes? Not super complicated I don’t think. As for the grey base, I agree! I don’t like the black versions. However, all greys are not created equal. The easiest would be mechanicus standard grey because it comes in a can, but it’s a blue/cool tone grey. I prefer the brown/warmer grey. So I looked into skavenblight dinge but settled on Track Primer from Vallejo after seeing Greyfox studios paint job using it.

That paint scheme is brilliant, the models look great! The only problem that I have with them is that it’s making me want to paint some of my own...

I’ll try to put up the whole paint scheme here at some point. I just wanted to get the grey colors down because that’s the biggest part to get right for me.

These are the 3 major parts. Greys, whites, and yellows: https://imgur.com/gallery/vc49zs9

Thanks for this! I’ll have to give your recipe a go! Wonderful work honestly!

Credit for the grey armor goes to this guy: https://www.facebook.com/GreyFox.Studios.Painting/

He was kind enough to walk me through how he does the power armor, even suggesting the satin varnish over others due to the way it makes the grey look. His stuff is amazing!

Archived