Who is this character?

TheHarrower

Anyone know the character that is on the cover of Devastation of Baal?

http://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/cvr9781784965938/the-devastation-of-baal-9781784965938_hr.jpg

I don't remember a dude with a Power Sword and what looks like a Master Crafted Hand Flamer. The badge on his knee is 10th company, no? Aren't they all Scouts?

You're right. My bad. Weird it's just a sergeant. Not even a Primaris one.

Why would there be a Primaris one? The first time BA learned about Primaris was basically when the whole Tyranid thing was over already.

That being said, I love his armor. Would be great if we had such detailed plastic models for BA.

If you don't know the name of a blood angels character, all you need to do is follow my handy little "name a blood angels character in the style of GW!" toolbox.

it works like this:

1. Pick a name from European Renaissance antiquity.  Artists are good, preferably ones who have painted Christian/Theist themed stuff.. Selection: Sandro (Boticelli)

2. Now take the root word for blood from any greco-latin word that hints at blood or bleeding.  Add a "ius" "ious" or "otus" type ending.  Put the 2 names together.

Ergo, this character is clearly named:

Sandro Hematorius

EDIT.

3. (Optional step).  Incorporate the latin form of whatever the character's preferred form of administering death might be. 

Sandro Hemapyronius

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

Why would there be a Primaris one? The first time BA learned about Primaris was basically when the whole Tyranid thing was over already.

That being said, I love his armor. Would be great if we had such detailed plastic models for BA.

I would think a Primaris Marine would be of more importance. It could be the first of the Primaris coming to Baal to save the Blood Angels. I just think it's weird that a book of this importance has a generic character on the cover. I do love the art though. That armor is incredible looking.

It could be that the war will be told through the point of view of this random sergeant. 

I think it will be through the eyes of Dante. Guy Haley says himself that the Devastation og Baal is meant as the continuation of his novel 'Dante'. 

My my that is some really nice art, though I've alway felt that Blood Angels should have long hair (as impractical as that would be:tongue.:).

Me too, especially as practicality has never been a great concern. Dude's sporting a cape in a warzone for non-camo purposes after all...

I would think a Primaris Marine would be of more importance. It could be the first of the Primaris coming to Baal to save the Blood Angels. I just think it's weird that a book of this importance has a generic character on the cover. I do love the art though. That armor is incredible looking.

I suspect the vast majority of the book will be about regular marines attempting to fight back hordes of Tyranids, so it makes a lot of sense for a regular marine to be on the cover. As for why it's this particular (as yet) no-name who can say? Perhaps he has a prominent role or he looked the most Blood Angel-y of a bunch of test pieces .

Maybe it's a picture of Dante when he was a sergeant, if the book follows the pattern of memories where we left those off

No chance, they'd never show us his face!

Anyway, wasn't he sergeant of the 4th or 5th company?

Edit:

Bloodquest showed his face, but newer fluff has Dante never removing the mask apart from in front of his equerry or serf.

Edited by Xenith

Maybe it's a picture of Dante when he was a sergeant, if the book follows the pattern of memories where we left those off

No chance, they'd never show us his face!

Anyway, wasn't he sergeant of the 4th or 5th company?

Edit:

Bloodquest showed his face, but newer fluff has Dante never removing the mask apart from in front of his equerry or serf.

That is of course after Dante became chapter master, and then a living legend.

He also shows his face to Mephiston at least.

I thought the line was that he hadn't shown his face outside of the fortress monastery?

So him being bare-faced sergeant is likely, but I don't think that sergeant is Dante.

No idea who it might be mind you.

he hasn't shown his face because he now looks old, which doesn't fit the image. The other reason is that he doesn't do deeds in his name, by wearing sanguinius' visage, his deeds are as much attributed to the Angel as to himself.

He doesn't look old any more, so maybe he'll show his face again now, but in relation to my original point, we know he didn't hide his face pre chapter master