What will you be doing in preparation for the codex to drop?

Brother_Mike

problem with the assault plasma is its lower strength, primaris are lacking in high strength as it is, so RF wins out there too. Plus they're cheaper. The RF bolt rifle is mathematically better. It can start shooting potentially a turn earlier, and means the intercessors can hang back and stick out of range of most more traditional normal weapons, if the intercessors want to though, they can play aggressive and get into the 15" distance pretty quickly.

Auto Bolt rifles are good in that they can mean the army can advance and still shoot, which makes them deceptively fast.

Reivers.

Nuff said.

Definitely going to give my Reviers the Combat knife instead of the Bolt Carbine. No way I'll decide against the only cc weapon available for Primaris! :biggrin.:

Technically, Aggressors fill that role. Reivers are backline harrassment units. To that end, the Carbine is technically better.

Yeah and technically an army with more than just Primaris is better but that's not what I want to play. Aggressors are nice but too slow and clunky for me. :P

But the 9” charge is unlikely and you need to land rather exposed. With 24” you can park them on an objective and harrass from there. Now, if you want to stick them in a Repulsor, that’s another topic entirely.

If you shoot the Pistols and make the charge, then this setup is superior in terms of damage. However, in a world where alpha strike rules, it isn’t as clear cut anymore.

I agree that melee has the option to land in LOS and then charge later. I suppose it is preferance. I don’t see anything wrong with either setup. Though I would prefer if Reivers had all three pieces of equipment baseline. THAT would be an attractive unit.

Who said I'm planning to charge the turn I come from reserves. I don't plan to build a Primaris army because I aim to be overly competetive so I'm totally fine with hanging around for a turn and just shooting with the pistols or hiding behind LoS blocking terrain (keep in mind that with the graple you can just charge over the terrain without a problem).

Edited by sfPanzer

Who said I'm planning the turn I come from reserves. I don't plan to build a Primaris army because I aim to be overly competetive so I'm totally fine with hanging around for a turn and just shooting with the pistols or hiding behind LoS blocking terrain (keep in mind that with the graple you can just charge over the terrain without a problem).

I sense that my gloriously Ultramarine-y approach is superfluous when people just want to charge the opponent :D

I am in process of dumping my space wolves for blood angels so this is a whole new army for me. Spent sunday building most of my army. I have one more tactical squad and some more death company to buy to make my list up to 2k then I can start adding in more units after the fact. Just truing to get 2k on the board painted by the end of this year.

Not that I'm complaining but if I may, why the change from SW to BA? New challenge?

I love painting reds, have always liked the Blood Angels, I didn't want just red vanilla marines, and I grew tired of wolves. I may end up keeping them to have 2 armies but right now they are taking up a ton of space in my hobby room. I think it's the aesthetic of Bangles that really gets me inspired to paint and assemble them.

Who said I'm planning the turn I come from reserves. I don't plan to build a Primaris army because I aim to be overly competetive so I'm totally fine with hanging around for a turn and just shooting with the pistols or hiding behind LoS blocking terrain (keep in mind that with the graple you can just charge over the terrain without a problem).

I sense that my gloriously Ultramarine-y approach is superfluous when people just want to charge the opponent :biggrin.:

That's what you get for being all blue and stuff. :D

remember, with reivers you can get some real opportunity targets on a table with terrain that has multiple levels.

deepstrike more than 9" from a target that is high up in terrain (you measure from the model), then charge ignores the height for charge distance, which means there is potential for some incredibly easy charges. And when there isn't, just drop them into terrain themselves and you have a 2+ save and 2 wounds to keep you going for a round, jump pack priest could drop with them to both improve their survivability for a turn and increase their damage output on their next turn too.

I sense that my gloriously Ultramarine-y approach is superfluous when people just want to charge the opponent :biggrin.:

That's what you get for being all blue and stuff. :biggrin.:

That's right. Being gloriously tactical and tactically glorious :D

remember, with reivers you can get some real opportunity targets on a table with terrain that has multiple levels.

deepstrike more than 9" from a target that is high up in terrain (you measure from the model), then charge ignores the height for charge distance, which means there is potential for some incredibly easy charges. And when there isn't, just drop them into terrain themselves and you have a 2+ save and 2 wounds to keep you going for a round, jump pack priest could drop with them to both improve their survivability for a turn and increase their damage output on their next turn too.

Do you think that niche application is worth the additional 2ppm? But the idea is pretty good. I like it. Most heavy ranged hitters are somewhere on the upper floors anyway. Chapeau, my friend ;)

Dayum I didn't even think that far. That feels almost a bit cheesy tho not like it is unintended.

its how they work, changing the way they work would be fairly tough, so its a valid approach. I've used it a few times, and for BA it's more viable thanks to the increased chance to wound.

It's a valid tactic for any reiver squad though, I think stuff like BT reivers would do well from it thanks to their rerolls for example.

I am getting so. much. painting done in preparation for the codex. I have a very curious two year old at home, meaning that during the week I only have about an hour of free time to myself every night after he goes to bed. For the first time in a while I'm spending almost that entire hour every night painting. Last night I put a bit more time into a Stormtalon, thought about the fact that they're probably a bit too expensive to actually use at the moment and then starting working on a Sanguinary Guard Ancient who will very probably be getting that relic banner.

I picked up Devastation of Baal to get into the 8th ed fluff, and my eye is swinging towards Hellblasters.

Hellblasters are cool, but what's even cooler are plasma-armed Inceptors. You may be losing out on 1 AP but that ability to drop them anywhere on the table is incredible and you actually average an additional 2 shots over Hellblasters, all for a very similar pricepoint if that CA leak was accurate.

Plus will no doubt have a load more synergy for us because FLY etc

Exactly. The option to redeploy using Upon Wings of Fire is insanely strong for Inceptors.

Hellblasters also really need a transport so they don't get shot off the table and a Repulsor is obviously incredibly expensive.

Edited by Pendent

Honestly you don't even need any synergy to pick a FLY unit over a non-FLY unit. It's such a strong keyword for any kind of unit.

So I'm about halfway through Devastation of Baal and think I'll be going with a Primaris Charnel Guard army (apparently they have "sombre grey armor", whatever that means)- problem is I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing as far as list building with all this newfangled "technology"...

It basically means dark grey but sounds more fancy. :P

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/sombre

- problem is I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing as far as list building with all this newfangled "technology"...

Man, go with power levels. So much easier. List building with points is now a nightmare.

If someone really wants to abuse power levels they can, but:

1) equipping every model in the army with 2 thunder hammers is expensive

We

2) you'll never play them again.