Blood Angel Novel recommendations

MegaLars

Hi all,

I'm likely going to be starting my first foray into a blood angels army and wanted maybe 3 books to get me started on their lore.

I've read a lot of the HH series so wanted some ideas for  some more contemporary stories regarding the characters in the model line.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

Mephiston (the new one) and Dante for sure. Also can't wqit for the Devastation of Baal novel that comesnext month.

The swallows ones are....well people have mixed opinions on them so I can't recommend them as much as the ones above.

Read Dante first. It’s split into 2 time periods. It covers Dante’s recruitment and Dante getting ready to defend Baal from the massive Tyranid invasion that’s been brewing in the background for years now. Devastation of Baal is the follow up and covers the invasion, it will be released soon.

I’d also recommend the Mephiston novel, gives good insight into his character and how others see him.

I’d also recommend the Lamartes novel, it gives a good insight into the Black Rage.

I would recommend skipping Swallows trilogy, it’s unclear to me if GW even considers it canon anymore. They are ok novels with some good stuff in but there are significant issues. The main one is swallow didn’t get Space Marines in my opinion, it’s hard to explain but I think Swallow did a pretty good job with the strictly Blood Angels side of our background, but he massively screwed up the Space Marines side of our background. The characters act more like imperial Guard with the Blood Angels culture than true Marines. The main plot relies on us being incredibly naive and trusting multiple times through the books, not a trait of any chapter let alone one with our secrets. The plot also relies on many of the characters having crippling personality flaws that would never get passed the Space Marines indoctrination process, These are not subtle disorders. The last book is however easily the best one.

Swallow wrote the Signus book if you’ve read that one, the Signus book is considerably better than his earlier work in my opinion, though I’d still say it was ok at best. It should have been a trilogy in my opinion.

If the Book of Blood mentioned above is still available that’s also a good one to pick up.