Just getting started in Black Templars, looking for input

allegedlynerdy

Decided to get started with Black Templars, and I'm looking for input on my shopping list/what I have.

To start, I have the cataphractii terminators and captain from Calth. I've started modifying them with tabards of greenstuff (still not great at sculpting, but it should look OK aftern painting).

As far as what I'm planning to buy:

Start Collecting Space Marines

Tac Squad

4 scouts squads

Sternguard Vets

Vanguard Vets

Company Command

2 chaplains (one with jumppack)

2 Black Templars upgrade sets.

Also trading a Landraider I had lying around for a Landraider crusader. What are your thoughts? Would this be a good variety to start with? Thank you in advance!

I’d also pick up a third upgrade sprew personally and 1-2 Devestator Squad. The Devies give you two of each heavy weapon. And get our character kits, espacially Grimaldus. Also the Blood Angel Tactical Kit I prefer. (I prefer 22m vs modern 32m one for Non-Primaris)

Otherwise I’d maybe think about getting 0-2 Sword Brothern Kit. The Sword Brothern Kit makes for nice character conversions as a base kit. And Dark Imperium or Imperial Half of it. I like Primaris however, it might not be for you.

An expensive start, you will need transfers unless you fancy freehanding the Maltese crosses.

Why not just get the LRC upgrade kit and convert the Land Raider?

I have some decals lying around from an old rhino kit I have from when I first started 40k.

As far as the Landraider upgrade, the trade will be cheaper, and I don't have to worry about cutting off the lascannons and such.

I’d also pick up a third upgrade sprew personally and 1-2 Devestator Squad. The Devies give you two of each heavy weapon. And get our character kits, espacially Grimaldus. Also the Blood Angel Tactical Kit I prefer. (I prefer 22m vs modern 32m one for Non-Primaris)

Otherwise I’d maybe think about getting 0-2 Sword Brothern Kit. The Sword Brothern Kit makes for nice character conversions as a base kit. And Dark Imperium or Imperial Half of it. I like Primaris however, it might not be for you.

I'll look into devastator squads, for sure. I have some resin heavy weapons for the Mk. IV I got in a trade awhile back, might just use those.

I don't particularly care for primaris. I'm fine with the fluff, just don't like how they look. Since Templars is such an appearance-based army, I figure that's pretty important.

Edit: a word

Edited by allegedlynerdy