Designer commentary FAQ update

Halfpint100

If you are against other T3 armies, sure - but against the more common T4 they both need 3+ to wound.

So, at least for catachans, IMHO axes will almost always be better.  Which seems appropriate to the army.

That is fair. For non-Catachan platoons, the maul seems better, since you're wounding T4 on a 3+. 

The more important question, however, is whether all this is worth it?  All these little upgrades add up, even the 1 point bolters.  A maul is a 10% increase to the cost of an infantry squad.

Sadly all my Sgt's are built with chainswords, except the pair with power swords, and I don't think I have the heart to clip them.

If you are against other T3 armies, sure - but against the more common T4 they both need 3+ to wound.

So, at least for catachans, IMHO axes will almost always be better.  Which seems appropriate to the army.

That is fair. For non-Catachan platoons, the maul seems better, since you're wounding T4 on a 3+. 

The more important question, however, is whether all this is worth it?  All these little upgrades add up, even the 1 point bolters.  A maul is a 10% increase to the cost of an infantry squad.

Sadly all my Sgt's are built with chainswords, except the pair with power swords, and I don't think I have the heart to clip them.

I think it's fine in a themed army. IG are pretty strong right now, so losing a few dozen points on weapons shouldn't hurt you too much - especially on a Catachan army where those weapons might actually see use. 

That said, this certainly isn't something I'd do in a more competitive army. I don't think 2 attacks at WS4+ is the sort of statline that merits a weapon. :wink: