Support characters for mechanised guard

lash144

Hey there,

so I'm atm working on a 2000-2500 points mechanised list, running the Steel Legion doctrine.

So for the list obtains Infantry Squads with Plasma, Plasma Vets / Special Weapon Squads, Plasma Scions, Scout sentinels and Leman Russes, including some Tank Commanders.

Support characters so for are my Company Commanders and an Tech-Priest (just for style and to give my tank commanders some extra durability).

Since I got some points left I'm debating about including some more characters.

So basically what's worth to include in a mechanised list?

- Astropaths to buff your Tank Commanders?

- Psykers for smite, since it synergises pretty well with the 18" rapid fire range

- maybe even an inquisitor for smite/deny and moral boost for my vets (was thinking about Greyfax?)

- some assassins (see my other thread;))

- maybe even Celestine plus her gals? But I dunno how well they would synergise with a mechanised force

- something I forgot?

So yeah feel free to share your thoughts :)

I wouldn't bother with an inquisitor or such. I don't think morale boosts are worth it for so few squads.

I'd definitely take some psykers. I'd probably have a couple of Astropaths (one with Nightshroud, one with Psychic Barrier), a couple of Primaris Psykers (they'd probably also have Nightshroud and Psychic Barrier for redundancy purposes, and then Psychic Maelstrom or somesuch). The Primaris Psykers can go forward and cast smite or Psychic Maelstrom as you suggest, but they're pretty flexible and can also replace the Astropaths if necessary.

if you have any spare transport slots, you could try an Astropath or two with Gaze of the Emperor (I wouldn't use Primaris Psykers for this because it'll likely end in them dying the following turn). 

To be honest, I think the rest largely comes down to personal preference. Celestine is fine but hardly necessary (but then I'm not a fan of including Special Characters - especially ones from other armies - when they're not needed, so feel free to take this advice with a pinch of salt). Likewise, I think assassins are a matter of personal taste - they're certainly not vital to this sort of list.

Personally, I'd probably just take the psykers and call it a day. I don't think you need a huge number of support HQs - especially in a mechanised list.

Here you go:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Imperial-Guard-Regimental-Advisors

(It's the one on the left.)

Oh, Cheers. Y'know, it would be helpful is GW's search function searched descriptions, too..

Unfortunately I don't really want three each of the others, so I guess it's to ebay I go.

(I appreciate that I have some . . . unusual ideas about what an Astropath should look like.)

ain't that the truth :wink:

Edited by momerathe

Here you go:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Imperial-Guard-Regimental-Advisors

(It's the one on the left.)

Oh, Cheers. Y'know, it would be helpful is GW's search function searched descriptions, too..

Unfortunately I don't really want three each of the others, so I guess it's to ebay I go.

(I appreciate that I have some . . . unusual ideas about what an Astropath should look like.)

ain't that the truth :wink:

The WyrdVane psyker box has three minis in it that would fit nicely as astropaths. Plus they have laspistols so you can run them either with stick or gun.

I don't bring any real "support" characters. I field 4 LRs including a tank commander, 4 chimeras with 3 infantry squads, 1 commander, 2 command squads with plasma. In the back field I have 3 mortars, 2 colossus, 2 medusas, and a bare bones officer. I have no room for support characters although I guess you can say the company officer with the command squads and one with mortars fills that role giving orders. To date with this list I have killed a competitive Death Guard with Morty list, 1k sons with magnus list and a genestealer cult list with no losses or draws. The only support I give is the command point relic and the command point stratagem. I take some damage for sure but usually have neutered the opponent's advance by this point enough to carry the day.

• 4 weeks later...

For mechanized, you’ll still want officers to issue orders to infantry after they’ve disembarked. Consider vox casters in this army, since Command Vehicle gives the Officer one as well. Astropaths are ok, for giving close range units the ability to ignore cover. If you’re playing Catachan Mech and didn’t take Harker, you’re doing it wrong.

Yeah, Wyrdvane psykers should work. Maybe paint over the eyes or do them as blank white eyeballs to drive home that theyre blind.

Boooring. Paint them with googly eyes, they get +1 to manifest then.
I can’t endorse this enough. Nothing says warp-touched like googly eyes.

Ok guys lets stay on topic please.

(And no, googly eyes aren't the main topic of this thread)

LIES!!!!

Ahem, in order to appease the commissariate, let me bring up Yarrick. His reroll aura is great to make sure those shots connect, he is tough as nails by IG standards, and can even issue orders if he’s your warlord.