Best Regiment for an Infantry Army?

TheShredder

Something I've been struggling with a lot is which regiment/doctrine to use for my infantry army.

For reference, my army is generally along the lines of:
- 1+ Primaris Psyker
- 3+ Company Commanders
- 9+ Infantry Squads (mostly plasmaguns, sometimes Lascannons)
- 3 Sentinels (for Brigade purposes, since I don't own any Rough Riders)
- 3-6 HWSs (sometimes just Heavy Bolters, other times 1 Lascannon and 2 Mortars or Heavy Bolters)

There may be other units as well, like SWSs, but the above forms the core of all my infantry armies. Also, I recently bought some more MT stuff, so my army will probably be including something along the lines of 2 Tempestor Primes, 2 MT Command Squads and 2 Scion Squads (probably with an Astropath to make up a Vanguard detachment).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out which regiment to run the bulk of my force as.

Valhallan and Catachan both seem lacklustre for my army. I don't have enough flamers to make Catachan appealing, nor do I favour melee with guard. The morale boost from Valhallan is pretty poor and their stratagem is basically worthless.

Armageddon has an interesting bonus, but since I'm not using transports I'd miss out on their order and stratagem.

Vostroyan and Mordian both seem decent in terms of doctrines. The main issue is that their stratagems only affect one unit per turn - and my army doesn't really have any single strong units to take advantage of this (outside of the MT stuff, which can't benefit from them).

Tallarn would give the sentinels and infantry squads quite a bit of mobility. However, with the amount of MT stuff I'll be running, their stratagem seems redundant and their order is obviously useless.

Cadia seems pretty good, especially since their stratagem can affect multiple units each turn, and the bonus would be nice for my HWSs (and possibly Infantry Squads if they have Heavy Weapons). However, infantry IG armies aren't very mobile to begin with, is it a good idea to make them even less mobile? Also, I'm concerned that they'd just be really boring to play and play against.

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by TheShredder

Cadia would work well. But would make you think gunline. Tallarn would be good for mobility, but heavy weapons are not as good.

Extra 6" from vostroyan is great and works static or mobile.

Mordian is great for defence but requires Base to Base.

Depends on your playstyle

My friend's Cadians are really struggling because despite the accuracy boosts they're too static to do anything other than castle up. I mean things like Heavy Weapons Teams become downright ruthless with them, but on Infantry Squads I feel that you'll never issue Take Aim because you'll be issuing FRFSRF, and the re-rolls helps but doesn't really change the game much.

Tallarn have been very fun and mine are nigh-undefeated locally against various armies, to the point where people are spitting poison over it, haha.

I think Cadia is only good as a support detachment. It's too static, and that often is going to cost you the game - besides, it's really boring and one-dimensional to play with/against a full-Cadian gunline.

If you want to run the above as a single regiment, I'd definitely go with either Mordian or Vostroyan. Catachan would also be good, not for their order (which for a single flamer in a squad is useless, it's only worth in on a sws with 3x), but for their decent mobility and close combat. Nobody in the Guard likes close combat, it's just that often we are forced to it! So you'd better have some ideas for when that comes - usually in the form of Bullgryns, Death Riders, or other good support units/allies. But a Catachan line can also help a bit.

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

It makes me happy to hear that Cadians aren't the optimal fit for my army.

Regarding Vostroyans and Mordians, what would you recommend using their stratagems on in this sort of army? Would Heavy Weapon Squads work best for both? Or should the Mordian one be reserved for an Infantry Squad?

As I've said in a couple of other threads, Catachans are a pretty scary CQ army when accompanied by Straken (who is no slouch in CC himself) and the local Vicar. 31 attacks from a squad that has S4 can really surprise an incautious CQC geared opponent.

Cadia's mobility is overblown, things like artillery tanks and heavy weapon teams will be sitting still anyway, as do backline objective babysitting units with plasmaguns and lascannons.  There is nothing stopping Cadia from running the same infantry squads everyone else does, who can still benefit from the Relic of Lost Cadia, and can still participate in Coordinated Lines of Fire.

That said, if you leave the heavy weapons out of the squads, Tallarn is probably a better bet, because they are speedier and able to reach distant objectives quicker.  Since you don't have any valkyries or transports, their outflanking stratagem will be very useful for you.