Inspired by Marbo and New Easy Build

Schlitzaf

Given new units and that Games Workshop is listening, I am thinking maybe doing a mail in letter campaign for return of Sword Brothern and Biker Crusaders (Conquistadors I am thinking. And having LRC Be allowed as Dedicated Transport for Crusader Squads. And a draft of my homebrew rules). I know I’ve been posting a bit about these units I admit. However I’ve just been really excited by new Deathgaurd and how they’ve been treated.

I might also slide in trying to have them allowance taking Intercessors in our Crusader Squad and if they allow Interceptors in our Biker Squads. Anyone have suggestions and want to join?

Also please for love of Sigismund and Dorn the Father do not turn this into “Give us our Codex Back”. This is simply trying at best restoration of Sword Brothern (beyond the Company Veteran Rules which do make solid approximations I will concede) and LRC for our Crusader Squads (Okay a 1-2 Point Neophyte Reduction nice too). Then trying to get the return of our Biker Crusaders. Then as a true dream let us take Primaris in these Squads (if we do, including Primaris in the Squad would presumably prevent the Squad from taking any transport).

LRC and Primaris I suspect will be the hardest because LRC and Primaris would require a Squad level Special Rule. But first suggestions? I am gonna do snail mail. Once I figure out their mailing address.

A little sword brother ruleset and crusader bike squads would be pretty cool. I think it's at least worth asking for but a for the LRC as dedicated transport that doesn't really bring any benefit now. If dedicated transports still got obsec it would mean something but otherwise it actually limits how many we can take and prevents us from filling out heavy support slots for spearhead. The biker squads seem reasonable even if they're limited to open and narrative play. As for point reductions I've specifically asked for neophyte point reductions and land raider point reductions on the facebook page and both times the 40k moderator gave a positive reply so hopefully that'll get passed along to the rules team for future updates. As for primaris in crusaders it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually create a primaris crusader squad, although it'll probably be a long time coming.

It wouldn't make sense fluff wise for me why they would put Primaris in Crusader Squads... Primaris have been known to generally band together with other Primaris and adhere to their own combat style and their own rules... even if they were placed in other Chapters, as far as they go they just adapt the Chapters indoctrinations... having a unique squad have Primaris in them is like having Death Co. with Primaris, or having Grey Hunters with Primaris... it just doesn't suit them...

If Primaris models are really your preference, then why not just model Primaris as your Initiates in a Crusader Squad? but keep the ruling as Initiates instead of Primaris Marines... if you rather have the Primaris rules, then live with the fact that they are their own thing, and we might never see Primaris Crusader Squads...

Also, last time I checked according to the Blood Angels, Red Thirst and Black Rage might finally be phased off due to a massive replacement of Primaris Marines... that just screams bland and flavorless for me... and sorry this is a little bit on the anti-Primaris rant...

I don't really mind players who like/dislike Primaris, but having them join Crusaders breaks the fluff by quite a lot... especially since doctrines from 2 different leaders (Sigismund and Guilliman) that conflict one another would cause some issues with Primaris joining Crusader Squads...

And if you're saying that Templars should just follow Guilliman because Primarch *shrugs* then you probably didn't know that after the HH Sigismund outright slams Guilliman's codex and remained stoic about not breaking the Legions into Chapters, even after Dorn himself went to Guillimans side of the argument... hence now we have a Chapter, that could be compared to the size of a small Astartes Legion...

and this also causes an issue with me and Primaris, we don't know if any of them don't really answer to the Chapter Master or Guilliman... if they answer to Guilliman, they might leak that BT have a small Legion sized Chapter and that will definitely cause another Badab War scenario... good thing the only one who knows the full size of the Chapter is the High Marshal himself...

Loss, to avoid thread derailment but the reason simply put is because they are Black Templars. The Black Templar Chapter our Crusader Squad espacially are defined by being close knit bonds of fellowship over any pre-defined organization. Why wouldn’t a Crusader Squad accept an Intercessors as one of their own?

That is a reach goal, the primary goal of this campaign are Sword Brothern Rules and then Biker Crusaders and option the for LRC as Dedicated not replacement. With the addition of Primaris to our squad being the biggest reach.

Edited by Schlitzaf

Loss, to avoid thread derailment but the reason simply put is because they are Black Templars. The Black Templar Chapter our Crusader Squad especially are defined by being close knit bonds of fellowship over any pre-defined organization. Why wouldn’t a Crusader Squad accept an Intercessors as one of their own?

And that is where the answer lies upon... unlike other Chapters that would readily accept new reinforcements as just that... reinforcements... Black Templars have a really close-knit brotherhood... even having something as a Knight-Squire Master-Student squad bonding tutoring in the middle of a campaign/war... Primaris in general have just been introduced, the Templars would accept reinforcements for sure, but new "Brothers" especially ones that they didn't train/grew up with, that's going to be a hard pill to swallow to suddenly have this one guy in the squad who they have no idea on how he was trained and recruited to suddenly be in your squad and acting all brotherly... it's like being a group of men that grew up together since they were kids and developed this bond of fellowship and brotherhood and went to war... then all of a sudden a guy who others said was really good at what he does suddenly joins the gang and decides to be buddies with everyone even though he's only spend a couple of days with them... also, if it's a case of 1 of the Crusaders decided he wants to go Primaris, I'd like to think that they'd all go Primaris, and therefore they would just be a squad Primaris on their own...

As for rules... it gets really messy... Primaris have 2 wounds minimum, attached to a squad already with mixed Armour Saves and minimum 1 Wound... it would be easy to swap him and juggle him around in a squad to ensure that he avoids being the first to be die... or even be placed in the front to catch a bullet for that special weapon guy who should be dead and catch 2 bullets before dying... also, transports... a Crusader Squad can ride in a Rhino and a Land Raider... slap an Intercessor on and they can't, but now they can ride a Primaris Grav Shoe... but can't get in a Drop Pod... like I said... Primaris with standard Marines in a single squad, it gets messy...

Then again that's your long shot...

imho, if it's specific Templar balance issues, then I'd suggest that Abhor the Witch does not use CP it becomes a Chapter Tactic that can be used once in the psychic phase in addition to rerolls for Assault instead, our Strategem is instead swapped to a +1 Attack for a squad by using 1 CP... this would help army-wide with everything... and as a "Sly Marbo" character... then bring back Castellan Draco, model and all, it doesn't get any more Templar than Draco...

But does anyone want to join my Crusade? And does anyone know the snail mail address I’d send this too?

————

These are not meant to buff mechanically or otherwise just flavorful additions to our roster and rules.

Reasonable Goals (have Models)

Draco (and maybe his Crew?)

Sword Brothern

Dream Goals (New Rules or Errata)

Allowance for LRC to count as Dedicated

Crusader Biker Squads

Holy Orb Antioch

Stretch (Snowflake of Snowflakeness)

Primaris in our UU

————-

When I write my letter I am personally only gonna ask for Crusade Bikers, Sword Brothern and Primaris in UU. Anything else would come off as way to wishlisty imho.

Edited by Schlitzaf

You know, I'm with you on some of this. Biker Crusaders and Sword Brethren rulesets brought back would be terrific. LRC as DT, I hated losing that, and would like to see it returned.

As for Primarus in our Crusader Squads, I'm a hard no until they can become more CC oriented (BP/CS or something). And before anyone says "Reivers", I'm not counting them because of their status as an Elite choice instead of a troops choice.

So, on the positive aspects of my first lines, I'll join you. Let me know when you get the snail-mail address and I'm in!

So looking at everything it seems our best bet is sending it to White Dwarf, nagging using Snail Mail to nag Customer Service or doing an organized campaign on Facebook with Warhammer Community. The latter two options I feel will come off the wrong way. So does anyone have the address for the White Dwarf?

One idea by extension is do a mass mail to Jervis if he does Standard Bearer broaching the topic of lost simple flavorful units by rules. And bring up Sword Brothern as models without rules and Crusader Biker Squads as units while technically lacking models functionally have them (sense we can use our upgrade kit) as our examples.

This seems like a far shot, but if enough folks do it we might get a response and simple recognization. And in worse case atleast we can be assured that the developers know of the situation. So....does Jervis do Standard Bearer? And if so who was the address? What month do you guys we want to try and spring for.

December to March could be a solid idea. As those are lull months. And most likely if we are to get a quick splash release would be the time. That said I’d be interested on their answer in general. And finally avoid trying to come off as “We want our Codex back.”