Teus (Devastation of Baal spoilers)

Blindhamster

So, there's a bit that is simple due to a head injury during the trials, as a result he is denied the chance to become a marine.

However throughout it he saves his father and helps his father repeatedly, being surprisingly brave for a 12 year old.

Near the end a primaris apothecary determines that the brain damage can be repaired and that he is a perfect match. So decides the boy will be made into a primaris marine.

Now, we also discover that Dante doesn't think he is the golden armoured warrior to defend the emperor any more, even after surviving he seems to think he has a part to play but doesn't necessarily think it's him.

Could this boy that we followed through the story he more important than initially let on?

Especially when we know the figure from dantes vision was marine shaped. And because we know Guy plans to write another book about Dante in the future and has pitched some other ideas.

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

Near the end a primaris apothecary determines that the brain damage can be prepared and that he is a perfect match. So decides the boy will be made into a primaris marine.

I really hope they don't plan to "prepare" the brain damage. :D

Near the end a primaris apothecary determines that the brain damage can be prepared and that he is a perfect match. So decides the boy will be made into a primaris marine.

I really hope they don't plan to "prepare" the brain damage. :biggrin.:

Fixed!

I posted from my phone and auto correct got the better of me!

So what do people think? Will the Golden Astartes (definitely not human or custodes apparently) be Dante? Or possibly his successor or someone else?

What happens to the Axe Mortalis if its Dante?!

Do we think there is potential the this Teus? I personally liked that they went with the idea, we already saw in "Dante" that sometimes the best marines arent the biggest, fastest or strongest. Dante himself is meant to have been fairly unremarkable beyond being a very good genetic match. The boy showed heroism a number of times, saving his father despite his father outright hating him all the way to the end. I also thought it was interesting that he repeatedly got described as having been very smart before the accident too.

And yeah, also interesting to see that the primaris approach (genesis machines apparently) make candidates that might have failed purely because of the smallest issue  into viable ones. It fits with the Great Crusade Era when success rates were significantly higher.

I wonder if we will ever get to that. GW is advancing the story but will they advance it this far?

possibly (probably) not. But it's fun to speculate.

In terms of Teus, what do we think there? possibility for an interesting protagonist in some other stories down the line? or a throw away?

based on when Devastation of Baal ends, Teus would have been a primaris marine for 30 or so years by the point we are at now (Devastation specifically says its been around 70 years since the start of the indomitus crusade, and we know at the start of dark imperium its been over 100 years of crusading at that point). So he's a full fledged primaris marine and either dead or potentially in a battle company. 

Edited by Blindhamster

The certainty of service calmed his troubled thoughts, but one thing nagged at him. Sanguinius’ prophecy had not been disproved after all. The golden warrior would still be needed to stand at the Emperor’s side in the final days. Perhaps he had a vital part yet to play.

Nothing suggests that he's changed his mind and believes it's definitely him anymore. Though clearly it could be.

He does think he perhaps has a part to play though.

To me that says he still believes it's him, but it's easily open to interpretation either way. Sanguinius sending him back I'm liking more and more after I re read the book.

That’s the way I read it to. Dante doubted during the book but at the end again suspects it’s him, but even if it’s not he knows he has a part to play.

I also read Teus brain damage differently, I read it as his brain damage could always have been fixed but before the invasion the BA were actively looking for reasons to fail potential recruits, so probably saw he was hurt and sent him away without examining him. The invasion changed that, with the BA desperate for recruits plus all the survivors humans having more than proved themselves they bent the rules.

Nothing to do with Primaris enhancements being applicable to more people, though that’s still possible as far as I know.

I read it the same as pandion40. He was injured and thus failed the trials, but his brain damage could always have been fixed. Now they are desperate to replenish numbers (and he has done much to earn a place) so he is now accepted.

My first thought was that he may be the new Primaris Lieutenant model. I know in another topic someone mentioned he supposedly is a named character, so that's what my mind jumped to. It will be interesting to see what happens with him. There has to be more to him. I initially just thought he and his father were only used to show another perspective of the battle (which they definitely were), but the end suggests something more for him. 

Guy confirmed pandion40s view on why Teus wasn't selected fyi.he was included to show the human side of Baal and to give guy a primaris character we could watch grow.

Teus is important in that he is the character guy will use to explore BA primaris in the future. We don't know what rank he might be by Dark imperium time. But guy would at least start with him as a battlebrother

Edited by Blindhamster

Guy confirmed pandion40s view on why Teus wasn't selected fyi.he was included to show the human side of Baal and to give guy a primaris character we could watch grow.

Teus is important in that he is the character guy will use to explore BA primaris in the future. We don't know what rank he might be by Dark imperium time. But guy would at least start with him as a battlebrother

This.

Haley can do some amazing work with this character in the developing Baal system and the integration of both the new Primaris and Dante as Warden of the North. (Still love saying that)

• 1 month later...

Bumping this as I've just finished DoB.

When I read about Teus, my first instinct was that he was the BA Primaris lieutenant...Tolmeron...then I googled him, and the model has a large scar on the face...

I'm wondering if Tolmeron is Teus?

Is there any background to Tolmeron?

• 1 year later...