New preview out on WH community

Xerxus

What made DC amazing (or as close as we got in 7th) was the fact that they had insane #’s of attack’s, were moderately more resilient, and they were FEARLESS.

They were the “perfect” MSU unit. Now they seem like a blind rabid Great Dane that needs a strong leash.

Categorically speaking, I think the only major questions that “need” to be answered are whether or not there’s Dante 2.0 or other such “new, as in GK Grandmaster Nemesis Dreadknight new” units and if our other unique units (Furiosos, DC Dreads, Baal Pred) have had any major tweaking. Strategems, psychic powers, and Relics, no matter how good they are, can wait til launch (in a good way).

What do you mean? Who would want to build three squads of 45 DC with jump packs bolters and chainswords with a few power swords mixed in followed closely behind by a sang priest and other buffing HQ options? That just seems... silly. Who would want 90 bolter shots on turn one then 3+ potential charges?

Madness I say. Madness. I'm totally building this lol!

As a vanilla Astartes player I'm always jealous that DC get Bolters/annoyed regular Assault Marines can't get Bolters. Honestly, that'd be a nice little fix for Assault Marines, just giving them Bolter access (DC are still way better at the choppy-choppy).

But BA are looking pretty damn sweet. Love that On Wings Of Fire stratagem!

What do you mean? Who would want to build three squads of 45 DC with jump packs bolters and chainswords with a few power swords mixed in followed closely behind by a sang priest and other buffing HQ options? That just seems... silly. Who would want 90 bolter shots on turn one then 3+ potential charges?

As a vanilla Astartes player I'm always jealous that DC get Bolters/annoyed regular Assault Marines can't get Bolters. Honestly, that'd be a nice little fix for Assault Marines, just giving them Bolter access (DC are still way better at the choppy-choppy).

Your power armor must be painted black in order to have enough strength to wield a boltgun one handed! :-D

Shenanigans aside, are we reasonably sure that DC will continue to have the option for melee weapon + bolter? (aside from thunderhammer?)  if so, I need to convert all my dudes over to bolters.  Because I really cannot fathom why anyone would take the bolt pistol for the off-chance something is going to survive an encounter with Death Company.

Shenanigans aside, are we reasonably sure that DC will continue to have the option for melee weapon + bolter? (aside from thunderhammer?) if so, I need to convert all my dudes over to bolters. Because I really cannot fathom why anyone would take the bolt pistol for the off-chance something is going to survive an encounter with Death Company.

It’s safe to say yes, me thinks.

1. They seem to be making unit profiles based on what comes in the box (both in a good and bad way)

2. GW loves to show off DC on foot with bolters and regular backpacks (seriously...who does that? No jump pack and cqc?)

Shenanigans aside, are we reasonably sure that DC will continue to have the option for melee weapon + bolter? (aside from thunderhammer?) if so, I need to convert all my dudes over to bolters. Because I really cannot fathom why anyone would take the bolt pistol for the off-chance something is going to survive an encounter with Death Company.

1. They seem to be making unit profiles based on what comes in the box (both in a good and bad way)

2. GW loves to show off DC on foot with bolters and regular backpacks (seriously...who does that? No jump pack and cqc?)

Well they used to be troops once. My guess is GW thought they were just a straight up replacement for tactical marines as well as assault marines.

Your power armor must be painted black in order to have enough strength to wield a boltgun one handed! :-D

Pretty sure this is true. Very few space marines can do it. Deathwatch, Death Company are the two I know of.

Grey Hunters can also do Bolter+CS but they are Troops and quite a bit cheaper. The question is whether the extra points the DC pay are worth the benefits they get over Grey Hunters. For an extra 4 points they get +1A (+2A on the charge) and a 6+FNP but lose ObjSec and the CPs normally associated with being Troops. They can get JPs which are nice but also cost extra.

Grey Hunters can also do Bolter+CS but they are Troops and quite a bit cheaper. The question is whether the extra points the DC pay are worth the benefits they get over Grey Hunters. For an extra 4 points they get +1A (+2A on the charge) and a 6+FNP but lose ObjSec and the CPs normally associated with being Troops. They can get JPs which are nice but also cost extra.

Fair enough. But the JPs allow them to deep strike right into rapid fire range and have 15 models per unit. Not sure about the Grey Hunter unit size. But the Deep Strike option alone is pretty solid imho. Having your units be able to fire at full power is a really good benefit.

Shenanigans aside, are we reasonably sure that DC will continue to have the option for melee weapon + bolter? (aside from thunderhammer?)  if so, I need to convert all my dudes over to bolters.  Because I really cannot fathom why anyone would take the bolt pistol for the off-chance something is going to survive an encounter with Death Company.

Fair point if that is the case for current rules - although all the oldschool setup gave pistols extra utility in CC.

Pistols counted as extra weapon in melee (the BP being about as cheap as you could get) giving an extra attack.  

Ie, CS/BP combo gave you +1 attack compared to CS/Bolter. So it was more to give you extra punch in melee, but trading off less ranged power. 

Power fists on the other hand were treated differently (no extra attack with a pistol) so a powerfist/bolter was same CC but with better range fire - so seemed to be a common fitout. 

I used to in 5th because jump packs were overpriced and buying a rhino felt like a waste of £ and points when I had relentless. They're the only painted death company I own so I used them in 8th on occaison.

Even if it isn't in the Codex, there's the incredibly annoying FAQ that states if the Index (and I guess previous Codex, once that becomes relevant) has an option that the current version doesn't, you can use the option from the previous version, using the most up-to-date points cost. Seems to be GW's way to try to not annoy any players yet keep their whole "only models get rules" thing. In practice however, it's just making everything really messy.

So basically, we've already got access to Bolter/Chainsword in the Index, so even if the Codex doesn't, we can still just use the Death Company unit from the Codex, and weapon choices from the Index. Hooray for simple and streamlined GW rules!

I really like the rule that allows you to reach out to the index for unit loadouts. It prevents Primaris syndrome and allows you to customize your force almost to your liking.

Another big benefit of Bolter&Chainsword is that it is cheap. You're keeping a unit that is already expensive as cheap as possible to get more of them on the field (hopefully, because who doesn't want more Death Company?).

Edited by Aothaine

I'd just prefer if they kept the selections all in one place. "Ok, so you want to start this army? Well, you'll be needing the Codex, but you'll also want to buy this book, because it's got better options for unit X. Oh, you want your Captain to have a Power Axe? Yeah, that's not in the Codex, but it is in this other book, so you'll need that too."

I mean, how hard is it to just keep things having the same options? Don't remove them for an arbitrary reason, then remember that you design your kits for cross-compatibility and promote conversions, so throw a half-hearted FAQ spreadsheet together to explain what situations you use pure Codex, pure Index, or a hybrid of the two. How about just don't remove them in the first place?