New preview out on WH community

Xerxus

Is dante really a master stratergist? Or is that just what we want to beleive?

He's had a rule called Tactical Precision for the last 3 editions. And the Surgical Strike / Hit & Run rule. Even if he doesn't grant extra command points, I think he should at least have something like that to show he's a leader that leads from the front and not just a beat stick. Like an aura that allows BA units within 6" to fall back and charge in the same turn.

I was very surprised to see the Sanguinor have self-only H&R in 8th at least.

I agree with everyone that Dante definitely deserves more for his points cost.  However, he has really good speed, reroll hit aura, middle finger to morale aura, close combat ability, and most importantly: Upon Wings of Fire.  I may be alone in postulating that he's an extremely competitive HQ choice with that strategem.

I'm working on a list that has him buff lascannon MSU tacs with twin-lascannon/hunter-killer razorbacks first turn while a 15 man JP DC squad uses Forlorn Fury to make their way to the enemy.  Then 2nd turn Dante UWoF to buff a 9 man sternguard squad with combi-weapons (undecided on amount and loadout) in a drop pod toting Mephiston.  This drop pod assault will be further supported by the FNP banner ancient and JP assault marines with special weapons to make use of Dante's hit rerolling.  By the time the DC reach the line, Mephiston will Wings closer, Unleash Rage on the DC, and charge with them.  I will simply need just 3CP: 1 for UWoF and 2 for Forlorn Fury.  Objective nabbing will be left to tactical marines and scouts.

Edit: I'm itching to playtest it when the codex drops.  If he still feels too cost prohibitive then a jump pack captain with the banhammer relic may be the more efficient choice for this strategy.

Edited by Zynk Kaladin

Dante was traditionally never a boastful chapter master. He embodied the spirit of Sanguinius in that he often downplayed his ability to prop up others. However it was determined in the 2nd war for Armageddon that he should lead due to not only his age but his tactical genius. Had the old Armageddon site been up still, I believe the fluff was that once the Space Marines arrived, it was decided among chapter masters for him to lead, nominated by Marneus Calgar himself. I would be hard pressed to believe that a Ultramarine noted for being tactically excellent nominating Dante is no big deal. However please note that it was not enough to be nominated but also tactical execution that allowed Armageddon to be won. The story proves that Dante's leadership won the day and allowed the Imperium to reclaim the planet (for awhile at least).

So fluff wise, Dante is tactically superior to even Marneus Calgar. Thus why his rules in 5th/6th and 7th allowed him to have more tactical buffs than a normal chapter master.

Calgar isn't deferring command to Dante just because he is older... I don't think space marines would do that...

No they usually defer based on combat situations and experience. Example, in Death of Integrity the Chapter Master of the Blood Drinkers defers command to the first captain of the Nova marines because the Nova's had more current experience with the situstion at hand, even though most of the Blood Drinkers were much older.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

So, switching gears on the Dante is a great commander debate;

Does anyone know when pre-orders for the BA codex will actually ship?

Also, does anyone know, if I purchase one of the digital format copies, will I get it instantly? (ie, like, right now)

Only really have experience of the UK but...

If you ordered before the end of the weekend it's usually with you by Friday/ Saturday (they dispatch on a Wednesday normally in the UK).

Digital you will get access to the moment it goes live (00:01 Saturday, I think?)

Also, does anyone know, if I purchase one of the digital format copies, will I get it instantly? (ie, like, right now)

My FLGS told me they'll have it in on Friday. I've heard in the past that if you ordered from the GW webstore they don't ship until the release date. The digital copies release at something like midnight in England, or least that's how it was when I picked up my FW Index.

My order is already shipped. It should be at the store by 7/12/2017 won't be allowed to pick it up until 9/12 however;(