Inspiration: Follow the Leader

brother_b

I'd like to point you over to the Deviant Art page of Nicolas Giancandino. I believe his user name here on the forum is Aerion the Faithful.

https://nicolasrgiacondino.deviantart.com/art/Follow-the-Leader-159779023

This beautiful pice of art named "Follow the Leader" was done in 2010. It shows an obvious blood angel with a figure in the background.

5f70ceecfb530ae67e26f309eb61c9b8.jpg

In 2010 I commissioned this piece from Nicolas as I was taken by his primarch drawings and have always been a supporter of new artists when able. I long ago forgot my username but have not forgotten the artwork. It's in my hobby area and I dare say it still encourages and motivates me.

med_gallery_101149_13675_262550.jpg

There are many comments about the picture, with people wondering exactly what it means. Like all art, the meaning is open to interpretation and I would not dare correct somebody in what they see. I would, however, like to discuss this inspiration for this artwork, as well as the meaning I wanted to convey.

The inspiration is thus:

Everybody encounters hardships in life, some people many, many, many more than others. In those times when one is alone it is often times hard to endeavor on. Some people look to religion, or love, or friendship, whatever it is that motivates them. This is not a religious work, but the story of Sanguinius and the Blood Angels definitely waxes biblical.

The story of Sanguinius (and not to be so heavy or philosophical with this post, it is just a game, right?) always resonated with me because he did the right thing at the worst possible time. He did the best thing, and it cost him everything, but probably saved everything. And at the end of his sacrifice, his "sons" were left scarred. But where they left alone?

No, they were not. Because always with them is Sanguinius, even in the most dire of circumstances.

And this, my friends, was the motivation. The Blood Angel Marine stands ready, against what foe we do not know. Traitor guard? A tyranid invasion? Perfidious Xenos? Perhaps the twisted veterans of the long war, long ago succumbed to hate. Really we don't know.

What we do know is that the Marine is not alone, Sanguinius is with him. Follow the leader! Be it the marine or Sanguinius, they are together.

Fun to think about. What does the piece say to you? If anything?

Cheers, and I think I've found my avatar!

med_gallery_101149_13675_373277.jpg

That is a beautiful piece.

You are fortunate to have it and it indeed makes a fine avatar I think !

I came to the Blood Angels for the sweet red paint job and also for the vampire angels lore when I started them.

I stayed in good part because of the amazing story of Sanguinius that seems to just get better and better over time.

It decidedly resonates on a deeper level than simply the game level for me to be sure also.

It definately was not their power on the tabletop for a long time. *nod

To each their own, but I identify with noble sacrifice and doing the right thing no matter the cost.

I also identify with the need to overcome one's base nature for something better.

Many of the other forces in the game have somewhat similar outlooks and examples but Blood Angels just do it for me.

I am fortunate to have chosen a force with lore that has grown into such a deep and amazing thing as it has with the Blood Angels in 40k.

They are one especially shining example of HOPE and always struggle into the face of the raging storm.

Their rage, humanity, nobility, fortitude and sacrifice is just something to be in awe of in the lore.

May they continue to overcome their darker selves and never stop raging against the dying of the light in a dark universe.

The story of Sanguinius and his sons as it unfolds in the background continues to inspire for certain brothers.

Will be a delight to watch it go from here. I definately hope Sanguinius will always be there as an example and in spirit in the coming canon for sure.

When you walk thru the storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark... Walk on with hope in your heart, and you'll never walk alone.

--

And if something terrible gets in the way in that dark storm...

--

Use the gifts of Sanguinius to obliterate it with a righteous sword of furious well channelled anger !!

=)

I love Blood Angels and it is stuff like this artwork that makes me a proud Son fo Sanguinius.

Great stuff.

Great art.

Thanks for sharing !!

I will admit that I've never been a fan of how this artist draws faces but there's no denying that his compositions and color are lovely and this is no exception. Your insight in the meaning is also wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing!

Edited by Warpmiss

Something something one set of footprints in the sands of Baal, something something don't need to touch the ground to kick ass.

You can find those "bootprint" in the sands of Baal pictures hanging on the wall in the living quarters of many a chaplain on the home world.

The pragmatists and materialists and post-modernists would tell you that dying for a cause is foolish.

What Sanguinius and Gandalf and William Wallace (or at least the Mel Gibson William Wallace) understood was that it transformed their lives into an idea...and, to quote V:

"Beneath this mask there is more then flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy...and ideas are bulletproof"

Edited by Jolemai
Removed religious comment