Best way to use a Goliath gang in IG?

Lord_Caerolion

I've been thinking of using the Goliath gang models to make a kind of "Suicide Squad" for my Savlar force, but I've run into the issues of exactly how to use them rules-wise. At first I was thinking to use them as a Veteran squad with shotguns and some grenade launchers, with a kitted-out sergeant, but that runs into problems when having to give some models either axes, or grenade launcher + pistol, both of which aren't really allowed under WYSIWYG, but could possibly be used under the good old Rule of Cool.

The other option I was considering was to use them as Inquisition Acolytes, maybe with the gang leader counting as an "Inquisitor", which gets me the option to use pistols/melee for each, but means I need to think of what other special weapon the rivet-gun could count as, since neither melta/flamer/plasma feel like a good fit.

What do people think is the best route forward? Or should I just wait until GW throw us a minor data-sheet to use the gangs as IG units?

I was already leaning towards that for my army-wide rule, the rest of the army will be a hodge-podge of Astra Militarum and Genestealer Cult parts. I'm more asking about what unit I should count them as, as from what I can see there's not really much that gets the range of equipment they can use. The closest match I can find is the Marauder squad from the Renegades and Heretics list, or possibly an Acolyte Hybrid squad, but neither of those can be used in the wider Imperial army I want my Savlar guys to be a part of.

Maybe Ogryns? I don't think they are quite as bulky as an Ogryn. From what I have seen of their general size and build, if someone put them down as Ogryn's I could see it. I'd double check and make sure their general size is good for you and your group.

I kind of doubt GW gives a data sheet for using Necromunda gangs in 40K but I guess you never know these days.

In the interim Inquisition Acolytes is probably the best route to go to maximize WYSIWYG although the veteran option you mentioned should not cause you grief with anyone worth playing against. It's pretty close to strict WYSIWYG.

No idea on the rivet gun though. Maybe autocannon or heavy bolter? That would require IG veteran route though.

I was going to use the rivet gun as a counts-as grenade launcher for a Veteran squad. I think I'm leaning towards a 10-man Veteran squad with shotguns, 3 grenade launchers (including the rivet gun) and a sarge with bolt pistol/powerfist. The occasional cleaver on the models will just have to be Rule of Cool.

GW did release rules for the Age of Sigmar dungeon-crawler characters to be used in wider armies, so rules for the gangs isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I'm planning on using as many of the "big" weapons as possible from the kit, and this way I can get 4 special weapons for the unit of 10, 2 grenade launchers, 2 hot-shot volley-guns. I'd wanted to have them deep-struck somehow anyway, as a suicide unit dropped in to perform surgical strikes on targets of opportunity.

I think I'll be using them as Scions, it seems.

Contrary to most recent GW kits, Goliaths (as all gangs, I assume) are relatively very customizable in their armament, and they have little fixed poses and parts. The main problem is the lack of parts in the box, you would need to buy extra bitz to equip them similarly to an infantry squad, but that can be done on pretty much any of the 10 bodies.

I bought a box of Goliaths to turn them into Catachans. Eventually I gave up any conversions plan and just assembled them in a way that seems acceptable to represent an AM infantry squad. 

With the bitz in the box (it's actually 2x of a sprue of 5 bodies each with 2 weapons options) I managed to build:

4 with slug weapon/shotguns

2 with bolter and melee weapon

2 with pistol (1 is a plasma) and melee weapon

1 with special weapon and melee weapon

1 with heavy two-handed melee weapon

The first 8 will all count as normal troopers with lasguns. Even old plastic Catachans tend to have a variety of melee weapons, so I don't care much for their discrepancies.

The special weapon can be just any infantry special weapon.

The guy with the two-handed melee weapon will just be a sarge, likely with a count-as power fist.

I think this is sufficiently clear to pose no problem in game really.

Actually, my biggest concern is the bases: they come on 32mm instead of 25mm, and although the guys themselves are not that much larger than a normal guardsman, the base size can be an issue. Not as much as in 7th since templates are no more, but still a problem. They could be mounted on 25mm, however some poses will hardly fit elegantly. 

Edited by Feral_80

I can see GW bringing out a “Codex: Hive Gang Militia” when the six gangs are all out.

Necromunda gamers: look, you can use your gangs in 40k!

40k gamers: more options!

GW: more sales of kits we’ve already made!

Happiness all around. Probably.

Edited by Plasmablasts

I was going to use the rivet gun as a counts-as grenade launcher for a Veteran squad. I think I'm leaning towards a 10-man Veteran squad with shotguns, 3 grenade launchers (including the rivet gun) and a sarge with bolt pistol/powerfist. The occasional cleaver on the models will just have to be Rule of Cool.

GW did release rules for the Age of Sigmar dungeon-crawler characters to be used in wider armies, so rules for the gangs isn't outside the realm of possibility.

The Goliath sprue has a grenade launcher on it. You don't have to proxy if you don't want to.

Goliath would make good crusaders with the addition of a shield. 

I'm actually using Escher as Catachans because they have enough las and autogun weaponry in the box to make up a full squad of AM with flamer. Also they're the same height and general build as the Catachan command squad minis that the rest of my guardsmen are made out of. 

The Goliath sprue has a grenade launcher on it. You don't have to proxy if you don't want to.

Yes, but the Veteran Squad can take 3 grenade launchers, while the kit has models for 2. If I want the third launcher, I can either steal parts, or use a rivet-gun, which looks close enough to be a jury-rigged