How to return IG Platoons to 8th?

Personally I really like being able to use HWS and SWS for my heavy and elite spots

You could always bring HWS as heavy choice couldnt you? They didnt need a platoon leader or anything, just 1-3/5 squads of heavy weapons IIRC per slot depending on if you were playing guard/elysian/death korps.

Can't say about the FW types, but I just checked my old codex and the heavy weapons were only within the platoon (or with veterans).

Personally I really like being able to use HWS and SWS for my heavy and elite spots

You could always bring HWS as heavy choice couldnt you? They didnt need a platoon leader or anything, just 1-3/5 squads of heavy weapons IIRC per slot depending on if you were playing guard/elysian/death korps.

Can't say about the FW types, but I just checked my old codex and the heavy weapons were only within the platoon (or with veterans).

I think he mightve been talking about the OLD old codex, ie, 4th ed. And I do believe you could take a heavy weapons platoon or something back then... Not sure though, would have to check.

No, Heavy Weapon Platoons haven't been available since the 4th edition codex. At the time you could also get a limited number of Heavy Weapon Squads in a Command Platoon. The 5th edition codex dropped the Command Platoon and moved Heavy Weapon Squads out of the HQ and Heavy Support slots into Troops with the overhauled Infantry Platoon. Before that Infantry Platoons were limited to just a Platoon Command Squad and 2-5 Infantry Squads.

Special Weapon Squads didn't even exist until 5th edition and Conscript Platoons were a separate Troops choice. They used to be identical to the regular Infantry Platoon except they didn't have a Command Squad and they all had WS/BS 2 (or 5+ for those of you who started playing in 8th). Conscripts were 10 men per squad and had most of the options that a regular squad had; Sergeants with Laspistols and Chainswords plus each squad had access to a slightly limited selection of special and heavy weapons. Back then Conscripts were 4 points per model to a Guardsman's 6 points per model.

Fluff-wise I kind of prefer the Conscript Platoons over the Conscript blobs we have now. I think it did a better job of representing the fact that these were just green recruits. The 30-50 man squad with no Sergeants and no upgrade options made them look like little more than a mob. Having said that I understand that as far as game mechanics go, they serve a completely different purpose now than they did in 4th edition.