How much Infantry do I really need?

lash144

Hey there,

I am tweaking my 2k armoured / mechanised list at the moment and I'm wondering if I can cut some corners in the infantry department.

Last game I had 5 mechanised squads + 10 scions and 3 scout sentinels for anti deepstrike.

So yeah what are your experiences? How much Infantry does a armoured list really need?

Also what's with Hellhounds for bubblewrap? Someone tested it?

Previously I always took 9 infantry squads and 2 30-man Conscript Squads, but I haven't tried running mechanized infantry in 8th yet. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do since Concripts aren't really worth it anymore. I'll have 180 points to spend, I might take 2 or 3 more Infantry Squads, or maybe add a Leman Russ with Battle Cannon and Heavy Bolter. I field a Brigade and most of the slots are already pretty full, except for Fast Attack, which usually has a Hellhound and 2 single Sentinels. There aren't really that many FA options anyway, and I only own 1 Hellhound and 5 Sentinels so I'm limited by my collection too.

If I was going to run Mechanized I would aim for 6 squads myself, but as I said above I don't have any direct experience with Mechanized Infantry in 8th yet. I have been curious to try it out though. A buddy of mine has a Steel Legion army and I asked him the same question a while back. He runs 6 Infantry Squads and says he probably wouldn't field less than that. I guess it all depends on what else you're fielding and what you're likely to be up against though.

For a foot list you want 150 line infantry + Support elements (total around 200 bodies)

For a mixed list you want 100 line infantry, your support elements should be tanks/arty

For a mechanized/armoured list you want 60 infantry, preferably in transports.

Ok so 5 mechanised squads + 10 Scions wasn't that bad.

@CoffeeGrunt

Sure more stuff is always better, especially as a guard player. But there's also lots of other stuff I would like to fit in, e.g. Hellhounds.