Once more we depart terra(Marble Tutorial)

Theduke08

Impatience has gotten the best of me which isn't anything new when it comes to this hobby.  While waiting for an order to show up in the mail I decided I would paint up a test base.  I did a fair bit of research on different types of marbles and how to paint marble and ended up with something im fairly happy with.  

Test Base

Im not sure if I will keep the bases glossy or matte but will play around with both.

Edited by Theduke08

Here is the marble tutorial.

Step 1.

Sand down the base so it is as smooth as possible.

IMG 1270

Step 2.  

Decide what you would like as your base color for the marble.  I used elf flesh from vallejo.

IMG 1271

Step 3.
Choose a starting color for the striations within the marble.  I went with karak stone.  This first color doesn't need to be too clean.  You do want to make sure the paint is very thoroughly watered down.  If you get too much paint on the base you can simply clean it off with a cloth or use more water to dilute it further.  I like to make patterns to line up the lines you will draw later.

IMG 1274

Step 4. 
Very similar to the previous stage just choose a different color.

IMG 1275

Step 5.

Just like step 4.

IMG 1276

Step 6.

This is the step where you draw the veins within the marble.  I use a simple mechanical pencil.  If you feel like you've drawn too many lines you can simply wipe them away.

IMG 1278

IMG 1277

From here you can seal the base with any gloss of your choosing.

• 1 month later...