Thudd Gun

jgascoine011

Am i missing something with this unit or does it just completely suck?

I absolutly just love the model but look at its point cost and rules.

You could have 4D6 S5 shots, or for the same amount of points, 9D6 S4 using mortars.

The mortars win out every single time.

They need a points reduction to around 60-65 (including the crew) and the ability to re-roll to wound.

The Earthshaker batteries also need a massive points reduction.

Also are these meant to do D6 Wounds or D3?

All the crew served artillery seems to suck now outside of the faithful mortar.

A points reduction wont happen, in CA they increased the points cost of them, same for the earthshakers, I highly doubt we will see improvements, we can hope/beg for the heavy mortar to get a points reduction given its relative inusability, but yeah, I dont hold too much hope.

For what it's worth, the thudd guns are able to benefit a lot more from stratagems like Vengeance for Cadia, Defensive Gunners, and Take Cover. 

While Thudd guns can fire indirectly, they are so tough that I actually had some success deploying them aggressively central to my lines.  They have a large footprint with their crew, so that is a large swathe of no deep strike.  They saturate my opponent's target selection with high toughness target, seem to draw more fire than they are worth, and are quite durable in cover.  They are even somewhat resistant to charges, with 4D6 shots hitting on 5+ per gun.  Then I use mortars to plug the rear, while scout sentinels push out the flanks.