Back banners

Demoulius

Hail brothers,

Ive got a question for you guys. Do you guys have back banners for your sargeants?

I never really took them because I felt it was rather stupid as it made sargeants huge targets. Also its kinda hard to hide behind a wall to suprise someone if you got a giant banner sticking out above your head :dry.:

And then I realized....wait a minute. These are adeptus astartes. They are space marines and they dont give a flying monkey if their opponents sees them coming. Infact, they want to be seen as otherwise they wouldnt be carrying around such overly bright power armour! :wub:

Also the BA's are an artsy fartsy artistic bunch and their banners should probably be works of art :whistling: 

So do you guys have and paint the back banners and would care to share them? :wink: im looking for some inspiration before I want to start on mine.

Cheers,

Demo

Personally I’m not a fan, it’s a very old school look that dates back to the “fantasy in space” days when the aesthetic demanded each unit have their own banner.

I love the company standard concept though! Which they have obviously doubled down on with the whole ancient thing. For me this is the place to let our colours fly, back banners is miss for me!

Of course - as always, if you dig them then go for it!

I have been adding them to mine... paper ones in 2nd ed, but I got to adding the company-type patterns to the current generation of plastic banners.

If you filter for the 'showcase' tag on my blog [here], you can see some of the finished ones on tac & assault squads, and some WIP examples of devs [here] which have since had a decal added. Not exactly works of art, but I wanted to keep it consistent across all the squads and have the space for squad name (and optional icon). 

Completely agree though it's not for everyone, nor practical - it's making the sarge a bullet magnet, but then wearing bright red armour isn't exactly the best way to hide anyway :-) 

Ah, seems im not the only one who dident really like them then?

I did make a new assault sargeant (on foot) with a back banner and gotta say he looks pretty damn fancy :) (and a HUGE target but thats besides the point :P)

I kinda want to add them now to add some variety and personal touches to each sargeant.

Hail brothers,

Ive got a question for you guys. Do you guys have back banners for your sargeants?

I never really took them because I felt it was rather stupid as it made sargeants huge targets. Also its kinda hard to hide behind a wall to suprise someone if you got a giant banner sticking out above your head :dry.:

And then I realized....wait a minute. These are adeptus astartes. They are space marines and they dont give a flying monkey if their opponents sees them coming. Infact, they want to be seen as otherwise they wouldnt be carrying around such overly bright power armour! :wub:

Also the BA's are an artsy fartsy artistic bunch and their banners should probably be works of art :whistling:

So do you guys have and paint the back banners and would care to share them? :wink: im looking for some inspiration before I want to start on mine.

Cheers,

Demo

Dont have pics of my models, i'm afraid since theyre in storage on another continent - buuuuut....

all my Tac Sarges have banners  - some of my squad leaders too !!!! :D Started in 2nd ed - so....ive loved that aesthetic.  

If I had some I'd be sending them to Xenith. Already promised him that if I get my hands on some they're his. :D

Good, good, project Primaris needs fuel!

The BA then and now thread has some of my banners

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/341302-ba-then-and-now/?do=findComment&comment=4949931

Edited by Xenith

I have the problem that they broke so easily and make them harder to transport.

I only have 3 models (Termi Acient, Sang Acient, and Leutinant) with chapter banners and give the back banners a pass.

For the old style GW cases, I pinned the banners so could remove them for transport. With the new style GW cases, the sergeants fit in perfectly on their sides. 

I have a couple, and my Captain/Malakim Phoros Counts-as (still undecided on whether I want to use him as Counts-As in the new codex and get his awesome pistol/glaive, or get the BA Relics rather than the Successor one) has his own with an Iron Halo on top. Gotta let the enemy know just who's butchering them. :p

I have the problem that they broke so easily and make them harder to transport.

I only have 3 models (Termi Acient, Sang Acient, and Leutinant) with chapter banners and give the back banners a pass.

For the old style GW cases, I pinned the banners so could remove them for transport. With the new style GW cases, the sergeants fit in perfectly on their sides. 

Similarly - have magnetised the banner-pack (torso to pack magnets) for the last 3 which makes it a lot easier to transport (bonus being able to swap for jump pack or dev-targeting pack too). Although even with ones glued directly on they seem fairly hardy. When plastic dark eldar first came out I lost a *heap* of their spiky bits trying to get them in and out of blister-foam transport. Marine sergeants are relatively robust in comparison. 

I thought the rules were it has to be part of the actual body/hull, not weapons/capes/banners, etc?

The rules are “part of the model“ which includes banners and stuff unfortunately.

The hull thing is about measuring distances for vehicles and there stuff like antenna indeed don't count however that has nothing to do with LoS.

Edited by sfPanzer